CQC and some advanced Elk Settings

shenandoah75

Using elk ethernet... Doesn't look like the following are possible but just verifying:

1) setting output duration (i.e. instead of just an on/off button in sprinkler page, would like to specify how lon gi want the zone (output/relay) on)
2) PLC - no fade rate (and no toggle option for on/off when the device is registered as a dimmer in CQC)
3) firing Elk's automation tasks directly (i.e. to overcome the above)

thx in advance
-brad

1) Not directly, no, but you could set a countdown timer to whatever you want, and then setup an event that turns the output off once the countdown timer reaches zero. That would accomplish the same goal.
2) no idea, i use zWave directly through CQC
for 3: I know there's a "passthrough" command that allows you to send any text command to the Elk for things that the driver doesn't yet support. IIRC, someone (brandon?) told me that you could do some pretty interesting things that way, but as I don't use Elk automation tasks, I wasn't paying attention. I chose to centralize all my rules in CQC.

Using elk ethernet... Doesn't look like the following are possible but just verifying:

1) setting output duration (i.e. instead of just an on/off button in sprinkler page, would like to specify how lon gi want the zone (output/relay) on)
2) PLC - no fade rate (and no toggle option for on/off when the device is registered as a dimmer in CQC)

Look at the InvokeCmd field in the Elk driver docs. All those things are doable via that field, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Look at the InvokeCmd field in the Elk driver docs. All those things are doable via that field, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Well how about that, I didn't even realize that myself. Sorry about that, I guess CQC does more than I thought.

Here's some snippets from the CQC-Elk Driver page:

(these are parameters you'd use for the InvokeCmd command)

ActivateTask : tasknum

Activate the indicated task number, where tasknum is a value from 1 to 32.

OutputOn : outputnum [, for seconds]
Turns on the indicated output number (1 to 208.) There is an optional second parameter to indicate the number of seconds to leave it on. If it is not provided, or if it is zero, the output will stay on until turned off.

OutputOff : outputnum
Turns off the indicated output number (1 to 208.)

OK - one more question... how about downstream reading of fields not directly supported (i.e. requesting a custom setting/counter value via Passthrough)

Let's say i want to build a window that allows maintaining custom setting values 1-10 (used for my sprinkler zone durations) as part of the wider sprinler control interface... I'm sure i can use the passtrhough command to set the values to newly entered, but what about retrieving the current value when the screen first opens? Since it's not a field accessable in the driver directly, i'm thinking no - how would we pull the ascii value sent down to a dynamic text item?

thx
-brad

ivb - fyi - using cqc as my automation controller i not an option :D just a philosophy i have... i do not want any windows machine nor windows based software having control over critical areas (living in florida and a st. augustine lawn - this qualifies). If leave for a multi-week vacation when it's not raining and the the things gpfs, i'm screwed

Well, i've been wrong before in this thread so i hope I don't downplay it incorrectly again, but I think you're SOL there (for now). You could put in a request for that - V2.2 is already in beta, so you're probably stuck until V2.3 or later for that.

Do you have a rain8 or other sprinkler solution? Given that you're still in the eval stage, this solution may not be tenable, but you could always move the rain8 and rules to CQC if you go that route. You could still use the keypads to muck with it, although admittedly i haven't done that so i don't know if that's possible or how you would do it.

Something that some folks have done is to create a kind of 'dead man's switch' configuration between CQC and the Elk (or Omni.) Have a scheduled event in CQC periodically (say once an hour) set a value in the Elk (an unused output or something.) Have a scheduled rule in the Elk check that output once every say two hours, and if it's not set, then have the Elk fall back to some simple 'emergency' procedures that aren't necessarily as fancy but will serve until the issue is figured out, and potentially send an e-mail or something to notify you of the situation.

That way, if by some unlikely chance the computer fails, the Elk can pick up with some less efficient and much simpler watering situation until you get back and check in on it. It's highly unlikely that the machine in the closet is going to fail, but this is a way to have a fallback if it makes you more comfortable.

Further you can use Elk relays to restart or boot the PC host system if needed. You could do that using the same "limp mode" style check and balance previously mentioned.

(Not tring to detract from having the RTOS machine control most functions though, I agree with you there.)

I think i have another approach too - similar but no need for polling. i'm assuming cqc support server side variables/globals/counters... if so i can read/store here and upon save send the strings to the elk too... Still gives me hardware controller, but easier access to customize duration type settings (sprinkler, pool pump, etc) which is the reason for wanting such a thing...

The downside (no matter how you do this even if you could direct read and no fault of cqc) would be that an elkrp connection would catch the delta if i change from cqc and prompt a sync (risking an error on my part to pull the elk rules)... I could either use an event to send me an email when something changes just to be safe, or whatever... Anyway, something to play with...

thx
-brad

Back