Cylindrical Lock Electric Strike

auzzzie

Gents,

I'm attempting to put an electric door strike/keypad setup on my garage. Currently it has a standard cylindrical lock (no key) and a deadbolt above it. 

I'm not much of a locksmith but if I put an electric strike on the deadbolt that's not going to work as the deadbolt wouldn't retract. 
If I put one on the cylindrical lock, couldn't you just turn the handle to bypass it? 

Do I need to change out my lock hardware for an electric strike to work? 

Appreciate any input. 

You are correct. It won't work on the deadbolt. You will need to install a appropriate lockset (keyed) to make use of the door strike.

I'm interested in this topic as well.  I actually recently bought the Trine as it looked like a good option and I wanted to have it on hand to see what I'd need to do to make it work with my doors.  However, I haven't decided what kind of "handle" or knob to use yet.  As this is my front door, I still want it to look fairly nice.  I guess it's irrelevant whether it is keyed or not.

However, like others have observed, I would not be able to use a deadbolt, or else the strike wouldn't work anyway.  Unless it was only used when we are home (and don't want anyone to come in via the strike).

The door strike is convenient but the trade off is a less secure door. You also need to consider fire safety and whether to use a "fail safe" or a "fail secure" strike. I did some reading on the topic a while back but forget what conclusions I came to. Maybe others here can help.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
The door strike is convenient but the trade off is a less secure door. You also need to consider fire safety and whether to use a "fail safe" or a "fail secure" strike. I did some reading on the topic a while back but forget what conclusions I came to. Maybe others here can help.

Mike.

It would be a fail secure strike used here as long as the lock itself could be opened on the inside; how your typical house locks works these days.  The electric striker plate is only used when you're outside and you enter a valid access code.  When you're inside, you can just turn the knob and out you go.  So fail secure would make more sense.  If there was a fire, the lock setup works like a traditional lock setup.

lanbrown said:
It would be a fail secure strike used here as long as the lock itself could be opened on the inside; how your typical house locks works these days.  The electric striker plate is only used when you're outside and you enter a valid access code.  When you're inside, you can just turn the knob and out you go.  So fail secure would make more sense.  If there was a fire, the lock setup works like a traditional lock setup.

Yeah that is how i understand it but I'm a self taught installer and don't advise on  code or safety stuff.

Mike

When I did all the locks in my past house, I used deadbolts, not door strikes. The door strikes just aren't all that secure, the deadbolts are.  But since they were deadbolts, they had to be "fail safe" as I had an "exit" button inside that had to be pushed to exit.  I also had battery backup for about 8 hours, and a way to disconnect it from outside, should I need to.  I don't remember the circumstances now, but one day I did get locked out.  So I had to go up to the attic and remove the battery, then remove power to the house to get it.  For me, having the deadbolt security with a backup to get in, was better than having the insecure door strikes that are "fail secure."

Back