Decent twist ties?

DELInstallations said:
Not the tape!!!

Pet peeve of mine, stemming from guys using it or the adhesive labels on cables. Once any heat or time is on them, makes a huge gummy mess all over the cables, and in the case of black electrical tape (especially the cheap stuff) gets all over everything.

My statement started with: "depending on the application"

Understand, I do automotive work too ;)

Even worse place to use it IMHO. Maybe for making up a quick harness or similar, but still, the ICK factor of the gummy mess after the heat/cool cycles and the like.

OK, back on topic.

I was going to make the point about the wretched mess electrical tape has made of car wiring harnesses in the past, but didn't want to fork the thread in that direction.  Honestly, it's just awful stuff due to the residue the adhesive leaves behind.  Few things worse that needing to gain access or replace a wire in a bundle that's been entombed in that junk.  But given the cost/benefit analysis involved I can see why manufacturers have used it.  It's quick, cheap and you don't give a damn what the next poor bastard is going to suffer because of it.

The reason for me to continue doing it is because manufacturers use it. So, for security purposes, I want all security wiring to match OEM so it's more difficult for a thief to recognize security wiring - if they are able to at all. Having said that, I've come back to installs after 3+ years and don't have an issue with Super 33+ tape. Sure, many people use cheap tape and it does make a mess, but I'd still rather deal with that than some of the other things I've found in customers vehicles - for example, slices of pizza found under seats. I've got a friend who found a plate of spaghetti behind a back seat. I'd much rather deal with some melded tape than any of that crap.

Here's a truck I worked on a couple months ago... pulled the back seat and found this:
index.php

The orange color inside the seat belt loop, toward the center... yeah, that's pizza!

33 or 88 tape leaves a nasty black residue that gets all over everything. I have a pair of pants with a nasty stain on one of the knees that won't come off after 4 years of washings, multiple treatments and the like. Not to mention the pants have a teflon-like coating (scotchgard or something-duluth trading) and nothing else has stained any of the pairs I own.

I'd run away from those nasty car jobs squealing like a schoolgirl. Can't pay me enough for that BS anymore, 20 years of residential retrofit, nothing shocks or surprises me.

Regarding the OP, I'm surprised no one mentioned Gear Tie:  https://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp

Where I live Home Depot carries all the different lengths in their local stores.  There's a small "Gear Tie" section of the store, near an end-cap.

The OP's intended application is their primary use.  You can't damage your cable jacket  by over-tightening them, as perhaps might happen with some types of  zip tie. Besides, there's no motivation to over tighten because it holds your cabling snugly without over tightening.

Definitely intended to be re-useable.  It's sorta like Gumby, but a lot more twistable.

Amazon sells them too:
61eqfoWtGDL._SL1500_.jpg
 http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-GT3-4PK-A1-Reusable-Assorted/dp/B004MMEHKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440015561&sr=8-1&keywords=gear+tie

Back