Did Home Automation Save You Money ?

I can see how a very neglected place might save 18% even with florescents (and we're talking the typical 3-bulb 4' fixtures used in most commercial buildings) IF the lights were being left on all night or all day and no one needed them on (i.e. a significant majority of the time they were on when they didn't need to be), and perhaps if the electricity cost was tiered and automation cut back enough usage to bring them into a lower tier. I don't know if this is the case here.

The big energy eaters in most homes are heating elements - hot water heaters, clothes dryers, stoves - and motors - water/pool pumps, AC compressors and blowers, etc. If you can cut those back, you'll save some bucks. Most electric utilities now have energy usage and analysis capabilities or services, some have online tools, too. FPL in Florida has a nice little utility called their Online Home Energy Survey that shows what your biggest users are - www.fpl.com (requires registration).

I really think that, with some attention and concerted effort, the HA industry can become "greener", and we can do more with mechanical automation to manage energy and our homes and workplaces. Every little bit helps. A simple example is use of solar water heating panels. Heating water with solar panels is more efficient than making electricity with panels. The issues are typically cost, location, and ROI. In Quebec, the panels might not be cost effective because of sun angle, winter climate, and cost of electricity at 6 cents/kwH. However, in parts of California where electricity is $1/kwH and climate is warmer, it may make a lot of sense to go solar. And in either place, it reduces electricity usage.

I think geothermal is a good answer for a lot of places, and has largely gone undeveloped by most housing contractors due to somewhat high initial cost. But it pays for itself fairly quickly. You don't need a hot spring to do geothermal - just a deep well with a source of lots of water and contact with the earth. It's simple, clean, reusable, and only needs power (mechanical or electrical) to pump water, for the most part. You can even extract heat from the electric water pump to heat the water for domestic use.

K, I'll shut up now... ;-)

I can see how a very neglected place might save 18% even with florescents (and we're talking the typical 3-bulb 4' fixtures used in most commercial buildings) IF the lights were being left on all night or all day and no one needed them on (i.e. a significant majority of the time they were on when they didn't need to be), and perhaps if the electricity cost was tiered and automation cut back enough usage to bring them into a lower tier. I don't know if this is the case here.

The big energy eaters in most homes are heating elements - hot water heaters, clothes dryers, stoves - and motors - water/pool pumps, AC compressors and blowers, etc. If you can cut those back, you'll save some bucks. Most electric utilities now have energy usage and analysis capabilities or services, some have online tools, too. FPL in Florida has a nice little utility called their Online Home Energy Survey that shows what your biggest users are - www.fpl.com (requires registration).

I really think that, with some attention and concerted effort, the HA industry can become "greener", and we can do more with mechanical automation to manage energy and our homes and workplaces. Every little bit helps. A simple example is use of solar water heating panels. Heating water with solar panels is more efficient than making electricity with panels. The issues are typically cost, location, and ROI. In Quebec, the panels might not be cost effective because of sun angle, winter climate, and cost of electricity at 6 cents/kwH. However, in parts of California where electricity is $1/kwH and climate is warmer, it may make a lot of sense to go solar. And in either place, it reduces electricity usage.

I think geothermal is a good answer for a lot of places, and has largely gone undeveloped by most housing contractors due to somewhat high initial cost. But it pays for itself fairly quickly. You don't need a hot spring to do geothermal - just a deep well with a source of lots of water and contact with the earth. It's simple, clean, reusable, and only needs power (mechanical or electrical) to pump water, for the most part. You can even extract heat from the electric water pump to heat the water for domestic use.

K, I'll shut up now... ;-)

If there was more govt. and utility assistance with solar the ROI would be short enough and initial outlay low enough for mass implemantation in 'my opinion". Right now around by me solar is $8 to $9 per kwh. LIPA (the Long Island Power Authority) will give a $4 kwh rebate and then there are the govt tax incentives. For me its still to high. But they want to spend millions upon millions on wind power (hundreds of millions and maybe even billion in the end) that will require years to build, be unsightly, and have high annual maintenance and possibly hurt the wildlife. Spend that on solar and it "might" be more cost effective. Solar could start in months not years.

Of course there are reasons they probably dont want to such as putting themselves out of business to some extent. But if they had a $7 kwh rebate and the tax incentives I would pay less than $10K for a 5 kwh system (probably about $6k to $8K). The ROI would be about 5 or 6 years then so I would be ok with the outlay and the ROI.

I agree solar Hot water is more effecient then solar electric but my hot water bill is nothing since I went tankless. I would not live long enough to get the ROI.

Back