• Yes, I own 1 HTPC!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I own 2 or more HTPC's!

• No!

• No, What is a HTPC?

• No, but I am currently building/planning one!

• Total voters
JB, there's really no reason I can think of that you would need two seperate PCs for audio and video.

I'm running a Athlon 2500 and it works just fine for playing back DVDs and MP3s. I don't use mine as a PVR, which I think requires some pretty good horsepower.

As far as front ends go I've been using myHTPC (the free precursor to Meedio) for over a year and it worked great. I actually just purchased Meedio tonight and will be playing with it here in the not too distant future. If you'd like I can get back to you after I've had some time to tinker and let you know what I think.

I've also heard great things about MainLobby and Xlobby (also free) as well.

And definatly check out the HTPC section on AVSForum.com. All the info you'd need and so much more it leaves the head spinning.

You don't need much pc power to play mp3s. Just about anything will probably work.

To record video, you can use a pretty minimal machine if you have a card with hardware compression (like the PVR250). Even a 1GHz machine should be enough.

Video playback usually needs the most power. Especially for heavy-compression codecs like divx. Don't expect good playback with a low end machine except for low-compression codecs.

Micah and Smee,

Thanks.

For video, I'm thinking I do want to use it as a PVR and DVD storage. Part of the reason for implementing in two phases. The horsepower for the video box will need to be strong. Cost wise, not this year for me.

Thats why I'm thinking use the 'puter I have available and just start with the music storage, but have the software GUI that will work for both.

I said no because my PC is not only dedicated to HomeTheater; but, I would like to build a dedicated HTPC within the next few years. Since the PC I am using right now is bran spanking new I just cant justify spending another $1500 on a PC that I would only use for media. But I do want to do it.

A little off topic.... I just bought my A/V Receiver. Its a Sony (forgot the part number). I went to Best Buy and checked it out. Ended up getting it for a final price of $276.71 which is about a $100 cheaper than it should have cost me. But, since I am with their rewards program, I had $40 in Best Buy cash and also a 10% off coupon and a Double Points Coupon which got me another $20.

The receiver looked OK. Its a little big but not to big. Now I just need to save up the money for the cables and speakers.

Squintz,
For a cheap speaker wire fix, go to HomeDepot and get some 12 gauge stranded underground wire for sprinklers. Works great for a non hi end speaker wire. About $60 / 250 (and $90 for 500) ft roll.

Buy some cheap interconnects ($7.00 / pair of 6' RCAs) to get your system up and running. Then, replace critical ones (DVD to Reciever) with more expensive as the money is available.

That way you can start enjoying your investment to date. Toys in boxes ain't as much fun....

Can the 250 produce DVD quality video (or near)?
It can capture up to 12 mbps (bitrate), most DVDs are around 9mbps (?... I forget) or less. Producing a DVD-like image depends on a lot of factors. Connection type (as per Smee's post, composite will yield the worst results... DVI/Component is the best. I use s-video it and looks great (Im not that picky though). Also, you have to consider codecs (sonic codecs are recommended but I havent tried them, overlay vs. VMR9, etc. Lots of things go into making the picture the best it can be.

I noticed you didn't mention MainLobby as an interface to consider. Any reason?
I did ... "I have been looking into Netremote, MediaPortal, Xlobby, and Meedio as they fit my budget a little better than some of the higher end ones. "
I consider MainLobby to be one of the higher-end ones due to price and features.

@ John
Thats why I'm thinking use the 'puter I have available and just start with the music storage,
What are the specs? and what would you hook it up to? A HDTV or standard?

I said no because my PC is not only dedicated to HomeTheater
Ohhh... Well if dedicated means.. that is all the box does... then mine is not "dedicated" in that sense, as my HTPC is used for everything! Surfing, HA, video recording/playback, music, testing programs (not recommended for stability issues, but I havent run into any serious problems yet), photos, playing games, etc. I took dedicated to mean that it runs 24/7 and is dedicated to recording tv and being at my service at any moment.

I think it would be a waste to build a machine for only video, music, and photos unless it was a server or a lower end machine. Granted it would be a lot more stable, but as I said... i dont have any issues with it.

Im running a 2.4 with 1gig ram, 9600pro vid card, pvr-250, santa cruz sound card
2 HDs a 120g and a 160g

When I built this machine (over a year ago) I needed an all-round good machine. I didn't even know about HTPCs, I just wanted to quit paying the monthly fee to tivo, so I started looking a BeyondTV... and it grew from there. I bought middle of the road components (in terms of price) and use the least expensive software I can find that also fits my needs. myHTPC fit the bill to a tee, but now its time to upgrade to something a little more powerful :D

Everyone seems to think that HTPCs are expensive... and well, they are if you're building from scratch, but if you have a 1.4Ghz or above and a decent vid card you can pick up a pvr-250 bundle (with sage or BTV) for about $130 and have an instant tivo. Stay away from the AIW cards though .. they use software encoding and the pic quality is not as good.

AVSforum was already mentioned, so Ill throw out another good place for info...
HTPCnews

To see the power of FFDShow on DVDs
http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1
Note: FFDShow doesn't do much (if anything) for standard def display devices.

Back