Does anyone want to recommend a good electric water heater?

ricklearned said:
Thanks, I will look at that some more. I did buy the greenbean, but haven't made the shlep with my laptop to the garage to test it.

Update: I did connect it and found that it uses command level queries to do anything. I am not up to the steep learning curve for that at this moment.

I did finally find where I can purchase the Appliance Communication Module and I am going to try that route. Here is the link:

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/spec/DRM1E300T0

It costs $49 and I found an app that should work on my Android.
That module requires a nucleus hub/gateway.

It arrived yesterday and I think I discovered that. I have two versions of software on my android. One is called Brillion and the other is called Geospring. Neither connect so I am back to using my relay.

BTW I found this site for RHEEM water heaters.  Apparently they have a REST API for all their HVAC/Water Heaters and some other stuff.  It is unfortunately cloud based but it looks easy to integrate with...

I am building a new home and selected an AO Smith Voltex hybrid water heater.   I went with this model because it has a vent kit to direct the cool dry air.   Being that I am in central Texas, cool dry air is an asset that I wanted to utilize to help cool my house.   The water heater is in a closet with a louvered door in the laundry room.   The cool dry exhaust is ducted into the pantry.

I selected an 80 gallon model because of the higher efficiency.  (more water storage means it is less likely to need to turn the electric strip heaters)   

In addition, I have a water circulation system to pump hot water to the far reaches of the house.   This system circulates the water one time, and then shuts off when it senses that the hot water is all the way back to the water heater.

The Voltex model SHPT-80 supposedly has a communications interface for connection to a home automation system, but I have not had time to look into the details.    

Once I complete construction and have some experience with it under my belt, I can report back.

I was going to post some pics of my WH piping a couple of months ago and never got around to it.

DSC_0443_20pct.JPG

1) Stainless piping and valves.  The fit on the threads was horrible.  I used many many turns of standard thread tape and teflon goop and they still leaked.  Finally went to the thicker yellow gas tape and that solved the problem.

2) Valves are quarter turn full flow ball valves.   Some of the cheaper ball valves don't have a full pipe diameter opening.

3) Faucets are also quarter turn full flow ball valves.   Never know when you might need some water in the crawlspace.  Note the caps in case of drips.

4) Stainless flex heat loops.

5) Mounted to a 2x10 that spans the center of the closet.   Extra blocking was added in the side walls when the water heater closet was built so joist hangers (not shown) could be screwed in.

6) Not shown is the tank drain, replaced the cheesy plastic drain with a full flow faucet.

Very nice installation, but I'm surprised that the electric supply isn't in conduit of some kind.

42etus said:
Very nice installation, but I'm surprised that the electric supply isn't in conduit of some kind.
Thanks.   Right now the electrical is temp-ed in with SE cable.   I might have to tear out and rebuild the WH closet (that I built summer 2013) if it interferes with the new HVAC ducting.

This is what I started with.   How many violations can you count?

DSC_0222_cropped_20pct.JPG

sda said:
Thanks.   Right now the electrical is temp-ed in with SE cable.   I might have to tear out and rebuild the WH closet (that I built summer 2013) if it interferes with the new HVAC ducting.

This is what I started with.   How many violations can you count?

attachicon.gif
DSC_0222_cropped_20pct.JPG

:eek:

Depending on your jurisdiction - a lot!!
Wow, LOL - there is some ingenuity at work ;)

Back