Driveway vehicle detection

Mike said:
elcano said:
Their cheapest unit (BP100) is $125. I got one but still have to install it. It is for my rear windows (not the entrance).
Did you mean rear entrance? Or windows? I didn't follow the windows reference.
Mike,

I live in the Caribbean and the architecture here is very different that in US. In addition to being 100% concrete houses, there is a custom of using Crystal Jalousie Windows, which I hate , BTW. See the picture in the link.

In this other topic I explained my security problem with those windows and got excellent suggestions (see my second posting there). I decided to follow the path suggested by huggy59 and BSR to protect the perimeter of those windows. They both provided links to exterior based IR beam devices (the link provided by huggy59 does not work anymore).

At that time the BP100 didnt exist. Only more expensive options were available. So now there is a not-so-expensive option for this application. The 4 beams sensor would be better, but that is too much money.

Who needs a plow when you have kids :)
snow_shovel.jpg

Guy, my snow blower can shoot the snow as far as the blower you pictured. Of course, being able to say that you have a V8 snowblower is pretty cool :)

Anyways, Wayne, did you pick a solution yet? I noticed SmartHome sent out an e-mail advertising the sensor you were considering.

It would be great if there was a radar based driveway motion sensor, since it should be 100% accurate. I have one of those SmartHome radar based indoor 'chime' unit, which can sense motion behind the walls etc, pretty close to what I want, but the range is only a few feet I believe.

electron said:
Anyways, Wayne, did you pick a solution yet? I noticed SmartHome sent out an e-mail advertising the sensor you were considering.
Thanks for releasing my hijacked thread from the snow drifts. :) No, I haven't picked one yet. It was that email from SmartHome that re-ignited my quest. I am leaning towards a magnetometer based solution or an optical beam. Finding a wifey approved place for the two beam sensors would be the biggest obstacle with that solution. I researched the DAK unit when I first saw it, but now i don't remember if it had a contact output or if it would have to be hacked. The magnetometer from Bass is supposedly discontinued, so I am curious if there is a replacement from STI. I would consider the Cartell "short driveway system", but it seems that nobody carries it so I don't know the price.

Hehe, I sort of liked the snow drift pictures. Reminds me of why I moved away from the North East! :)

Anyways curious about something (this suggestion is a little off the wall). Our community has a gate for entrance and exit from it. They monitor a vehicle by a "wire loop" that is actually placed in the road (saw cut the pavement to install it). I'm wondering what the other end (inside the gate company's box) is hooked to or how it works as it works all the time (detecting all sorts of vehicles).

Maybe look into companies that make these gate/detector systems and see if you can find out what this sensor technology is comprised of (hopefully it will not be out of this world price wise).

I don't know how feasible it would be to install a wire like this, but man, the reliability couldn't be beat (it detects just vehicles and not people BTW).

I suspect that the traffic sensors are just more elaborate magnetometors.

FWIW, my Cartell is buried on one side of my driveway and can pick up my riding mower on the opposite side. I have to disable certain events when I'm mowing the front field or I get a *lot* of emails... :)

EDIT: Yup, that unit is a Cartell on steroids. Although you still have to supply your own loop wire - that second link is just the connector. Not to mention the cable to get it back to the house.

Jerry

Electron,

This seems to be a good application for using one of these geophones. I dont know if one will be enough, but if buried in the right place probably it can be calibrated to detect people, cars or bears. :)

Back