DSC non-alarmed inputs?

Frunple

Hello, is there any way to use zones on a dsc power 832 as triggers for an automation system that will not be triggers for the alarm itself?
IOW, connect a motion sensor to a zone, and use it to trigger events on an automation server (already connected and working with the dsc) but it will not cause an alarm when triggered?
thanks

I'm confused. I have a DSC hooked up to my automation server through a PC-5401 which receives all zone events from the panel, motion, door open/close alarm set/deactivate, etc. The PC-5401 is bi-directional thus allowing me to communicate with the panel from the server. Right now it is only talking to a Hyperterminal session (until the software arrives) How are you interfacing your automation server to your DSC?

Ben

Hello, is there any way to use zones on a dsc power 832 as triggers for an automation system that will not be triggers for the alarm itself?
IOW, connect a motion sensor to a zone, and use it to trigger events on an automation server (already connected and working with the dsc) but it will not cause an alarm when triggered?
As long as the DSC isn't armed, it should ignore things like motion detectors, assuming it still passes this data to the home automation system. I don't know anything about the DSC to verify this assumption.

Some panels allow you to configure things (such as glass break sensors) as 24 hour zones such that the panel could react even when not armed. IMHO, most glass break trips when the alarm is not armed are false alarms (ie accidents) so I don't have mine configured this way.

I'm confused. I have a DSC hooked up to my automation server through a PC-5401 which receives all zone events from the panel, motion, door open/close alarm set/deactivate, etc. The PC-5401 is bi-directional thus allowing me to communicate with the panel from the server. Right now it is only talking to a Hyperterminal session (until the software arrives) How are you interfacing your automation server to your DSC?

Ben

It uses the 5401 also.
Why are you confused?

As long as the DSC isn't armed, it should ignore things like motion detectors, assuming it still passes this data to the home automation system. I don't know anything about the DSC to verify this assumption.

Some panels allow you to configure things (such as glass break sensors) as 24 hour zones such that the panel could react even when not armed. IMHO, most glass break trips when the alarm is not armed are false alarms (ie accidents) so I don't have mine configured this way.

Well, that would defeat the purpose of my question.
I want the alarm to detect the motion of a motion detector, whether armed or not (which it does), but I want it to "ignore" (still trip by motion detection, but not cause an alarm condition) some zones so I can use them as HA triggers without setting the alarm off. I can do this by bypassing these zones but they would have to be bypassed everytime you arm it. I'm trying to do this for a friend who barely knows how to arm his alarm so I need to make it as easy as possible.

Sorry I should have asked a few questions before getting confused (which was caused by a bad asssumption on my part, my bad ;) ) You should be able to set up any of the zones in a bypass mode so that they do not trip the alarm when armed. This should still pass the activity through the 5401. You will have to bypass the sensors you do not want the alarm panel to monitor. I just verified on my system that the 5401 still receives data on a motion detector that I put in bypass mode. It also occurred to me that when I set the stay mode for the evening the interior motion detectors are disabled but data still comes through the 5401 so that is additional verification of what I think you are looking for.

BTW, when I bypass a zone on my panel it stays bypassed until I turn off the bypass. I had an issue with a wireless motion just 2 weeks ago that I bypassed until I could verify what/if there was any problem. Turns out that the "pet immune" motion detector could be tripped by my fat cat if she was in just the right spot on the stairs and jumped, doh!

Ben

Back