Dump Insteon and go with z-wave??

Digger said:
Icons have gone up 100% in price for the relay switches and I have the proof somewhere burried in the reciepts. I paid $17 or so and not they are $35 with no sales anymore. When I inquired they said that was the intial offering price to get the product out there and they half admitted they expected some concerns in the begining.
Wow, I just check the smarthome.com site and they did raise the price on icons. They were very attractive at $20.

I'm looking forward to Vizia RF, I hope it's the answer. (Granted it is more $$)

I also come from an Insteon background where you can link anything to anything and would like to have a better understanding of the components needed to layout a zwave network.

Has anyone seen an example reference diagram showing the different types of devices and how they relate to each other?

Hi Johnny,

I have been using Z-Wave for months now but have not come across anything like that. I wish I had, life would be easier.

All I can add, is that, I can create a Z-Wave network with a battery powered remote (low cost controller) and a switch (responder node). If I have three different rooms, and I want a simple wireless control system, the above example will work. In my example, I can create three simple Z-Wave networks (one for each room), or one, my choice. More complicated networks require a PC and some software.

The 'INSTEON Compared' document makes this sound like voodoo. It is not. And it gets pretty easy after you play with it a little.

I currently have a battery operated, Z-Wave remote, that I can program to execute a limited number of timers. No PC required at all.

No Wires, no PC, I think INSTEON missed the boat on this type of technology.

That may not matter, in that, the current INSTEON devices have a fairly good market. I am suspecting that the RF part is not too important to their current market plan. Unfortunately, the market (money) guys control things.

If I am an absolute control freak, the lower cost Z-Wave devices will not report their state automatically on change. Big deal, some of the INSTEON plug in devices will not do that either. Some of the newer Z-Wave devices do. Who cares?

Cost. From my experience with these two technologies, I get what I pay for.
Quality or economy, both work for different people.

Sorry for rambling... :D

Ken

I've noticed some inexpensive zwave companion switches. Are these exclusively for 3 way switches and do they really use the traveler wire, or does it work like insteon and just sends the master switch a message?

The traveler wire is used but it apears to be used to send a signal from one swtch to another. The load is only attached to the more expensive switch and the companion switch simply sends a signal to the load switch on the traveler wire.

Back