DVR Card - True real-time 30fps each of 4 channels

MRL

CCTV Speciality
Just got off the phone talking to these guys. The GeoVision GV-800-4 ($379) will provide real-time 30fps viewing of 4 channels simultaneously. I need to investigate the GeoVision 8 software to see how it would fit into a HomeSeer or CQC total solution. At $379 the card is not cheap but I plan to ultimately have 4 cameras and the ability to see 4 simultaneous real-time 30fps images - priceless!
They also have a Sony outdoor day/night (23 LEDs) 1/3" CCD 480TVL 512x492 3.6mm wide-angle lens camera for $140. They also will put together complete kits - power supplies, cables (50, 100, 150, 200 feet). They are located in Florida. It was nice to talk to a real person who seemed to know what they were doing. The only thing they could not help with was the GeoVision software. I will look into the software. This could be it! It still comes out a lot less expensive than using network cameras that would have to be panned. 4 cameras will give me all the field of view I need. Now to go and investigate the software.

Slight glitch with the GC-800-4 card. Not recommended for use in AMD system. A pure Intel motherboard/CPU is all GeoVision can guarantee. The slower cards (30fps total) might work in an AMD system - no guarantee. Apparently the GC-800-4 is very particular about the bus speed, etc. and has only been thoroughly tested with a pure Intel motherboard.
As it turns out, I have a Dell Intel motherboard 3.06GHz P4 system that has been relegated to a file server. Maybe the P4 should also be my camera server. I might have to sleep on all this. My P4 is also a backup to my AMD64 that is now my primary system.

Hmmm, I wonder if these guys have a showroom or anything - they are only about a 30 min ride from me.

MRL said:
Slight glitch with the GC-800-4 card. Not recommended for use in AMD system. A pure Intel motherboard/CPU is all GeoVision can guarantee. The slower cards (30fps total) might work in an AMD system - no guarantee. Apparently the GC-800-4 is very particular about the bus speed, etc. and has only been thoroughly tested with a pure Intel motherboard.
As it turns out, I have a Dell Intel motherboard 3.06GHz P4 system that has been relegated to a file server. Maybe the P4 should also be my camera server. I might have to sleep on all this. My P4 is also a backup to my AMD64 that is now my primary system.
This kind of stuff is the reason I am going with IP cameras!

I have not given up on the GeoVision yet. I do have 2 Intel PCs available to run the cameras - a 2.8 P4 with an Intel D865GLC motherboard (can't get more Intel than that) and a Dell 3.06 P4 (I assume standard Intel chips). The GeoVision software (which comes with the DVD card) seems to be very high end for professional systems. GeoVision is a Taiwan company that seems to specialize in high end stuff. I actaully got the phone number of a GeoVision US tech guy (got the number from CCTVSpeciality) who explained the issue with the AMD boards. So in talking to CCTVSpeciality and the GeoVision tech (was not placed on hold in either case), I got the feeling that GeoVision is for real and big time.
I really like the idea of eventually having 4 simultaneous real-time 30fps displays even if it means having a dedicated Intel PC.
I will further explore the issues this weekend and might just place an order on Monday for a single Sony camera and GC-800-4 DVR card. I guess I can always list then on eBay if all else fails but I really think I am going to take a chance here. I'll probably use my Intel mobo/P4 2.8 PC - I should know very quickly if it will fly or not.

upstatemike said:
MRL said:
To quote an old movie,
"you don't think you pay? Oh, you pay. One way or another, you pay."

Either for the PC & card, or in my case, for 8 IP cameras.

Either for the PC & card, or in my case, for 8 IP cameras.
I am thinking that 4 wide-angle fixed cameras with real-time 30fps images will be perfect. I am still looking at the GeoVision software and things are looking better and better. Since I have an Intel P4 PC available, I might just take a chance on 1 camera and the DVR card to get started. The P4 is going to be running all the time anyway - might as well use it to connect to the cameras.

That card is 60fps per card so 4 cameras would be running at 15fps each. Max resolution is 352x288.
The camera I am looking at has a resolution of 512x492. The GeoVision GV-800-4 has a max resolution of 640x480. The GV-800 is $379 and the above card is only $99 but I am willing to pay the difference to get high resolution real-time 30fps per camera.
Also the GeoVision software seems to be very impressive. I hope to make a decision over the weekend.

Back