DVR Motion Detection

Neil

I have a 4-ch DVR that covers all the outside entrances, my goal was/is to use this as the first layer in my home security, to notify me of anyone on the property at the entry points BEFORE they break in.

However on the lowest sesitivity settings for motion det. small changes like sun shadow or flashing lights at night time will kick off the motion sensor on the DVR, or a moth flying by the camera :lol:

Is this common, any suggestions/ideas? Dont want the alarm sounding off due to a moth flying by :lol:

Thanks,
Neil

Although overall this will false more then a good dual technology motion.

If you have a good DVR you should use the analytics inside so you can specify object size or shape and direction of travel. In my case on my front door cam, the object to detect is very large (person ~60" from cam) the wall of the walk is zone 1 and the far wall of the porch is zone 2. This will alarm when a large object basically travels from left to right in the video feed, it will NOT trigger by someone leaving as there travel would be right to left.

You can also double up in my case cam 2 and cam 4 must both see motion for a different alarm.

All of this independent of actual recording, it records almost motion lots of falses in the recordings. Really this should not concern anyone unless you have a couple of cams that fill your HDD.

Collin:

Thats a nice DVR, most likely a very high end unit, I have the intellicam DVR, does everything I need, except for the motion bit.

Back