E-Mail servers

drozwood90

Firstly, does anyone here operate their OWN server?

If so, have you ever seen / used: http://www.funambol.com/ ?

I don't really like Exchange that much, but I did want "push". Right now, I am using GMAIL to push to my phone...but I think I'd like to get away from that and run my own server...

Thoughts, comments?

--Dan

Why don't you like Exchange? I run my own server with SBS 2008 and for me, I couldn't find any mail server that had the features of Exchange. The consistent user interface across the desktop, web and mobile devices as well as the management capabilities of mobile devices is second to none. Using an ActiveSync device on Exchange is so simple and incredibly fast. I currently use an iPhone 4 and now that the iPhone supports multiple Exchange servers, I have my phone setup for both my home server and my work server. Contacts, calendars & e-mail are always 100% up to date from both servers. There really is a difference between ActiveSync and "push" e-mail.

I certainly have the ability to run my own servers at home... but I'm not into the hassle. I'd rather integrate my personal domain with Google Apps or Office Live... With the cost of powercooling, the hassles of maintaining a mail server with a good reputation on the net - it's really a hassle. Maintaining a good reputation on the net as a safe sender is something that's really a lot of work; and often requires cooperation with your ISP for reverse-DNS entries, etc... Just make sure you're really up for all that.

Otherwise hosted options really are WAY easier - and often free.

Exchange is OVERKILL for personal e-mail. There is so much involved, and so much that can go wrong ;)

I do create my own virtual e-mail appliance (linux based). It retrieves all e-mail from all my pop accounts (since my ISP blocks SMTP), filters/cleans it, and I can access it via IMAP. The entire VM uses less resources than Outlook, and ran as a desktop 'app' for months. The appliance also hosted the accounts for my wife etc.

Just recently, I switched some of my domains to Google Apps, and it has been such a great experience, I am considering shutting down my mail server and just move it to Google Apps as well (Android/iOS integration is so nice).

To answer your first question. I do host my own exchange server and many others as well.

Exchange 2010 is great and the new OWA is very nice especially for non IE users (Mac - Safari users etc) but unless you needs are specific to what Exchange offers, it doesn't make sense. The license cost and power cost alone would easily pay for a hosted exchange solution, without the hassle of maintaining it. I would go that route first... if it doesn't work out you can always just flip the MX to your own server. Also as well most hosted providers offer a trail period at no cost.

I host my own Zimbra open source email server on Linux, which I run in a VMWare instance on my Windows box which also hosts my Premise server and SageTV server..

I use it for business and personal. What I like about it is that I can have multiple domains and email addresses within, that I can use as completely independent addresses. All within a great web client. Plus it will pull in external POP and IMAP accounts and treat them the same way.

If I get an email to [email protected] and click reply, it answers as FROM that address. Not sent on behalf of. Or from my external GMail account, or any one of the 8 addresses. Internal or external. I currently host 6 domains on it.

Even though I have installed many Exchange servers for customers, I use Zimbra for my own setup. Love it.

Just recently, I switched some of my domains to Google Apps, and it has been such a great experience, I am considering shutting down my mail server and just move it to Google Apps as well (Android/iOS integration is so nice).
Dan,/
I'm not an email guru at all so what exactly do you mean by " switched some of my domains to Google Apps"? Did you simply setup new Google Accounts?

Exchange is OVERKILL for personal e-mail. There is so much involved, and so much that can go wrong ;)
I wouldn't necessarily say it is overkill. Sure, if you only need your own personal e-mail, then setting up an Exchange server to provide that is overkill, but if you're running a dedicated server for other things, then doing an SBS box as an all-in-one solution works great. Setting up SBS is not overly difficult either.

One of my domains is my last name and I host Exchange e-mail for several members of my family. When they compare the e-mail I provide them to their ISP accounts and even some of their work accounts, they are floored at how nice Exchange is. We have also used the "remote wipe" feature a few times over the years and there really is a lot of comfort in knowing that your lost device contains no personal data.

I'm not against Google Apps e-mail or any other mail service, but for me, Exchange gives me the features I want and I've yet to find anything else that compares.

Dan,/
I'm not an email guru at all so what exactly do you mean by " switched some of my domains to Google Apps"? Did you simply setup new Google Accounts?

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

Google hosts business email for some time now. Cheaper plans are free, the best plan is $50 per user per year. It is great.. Especially if you have a android smartphone. Android phones can be remotely wiped. I find it way better then exchange with activesync.

But that is a personal preference. If you love exchange outsourced exchange is not expensive, www.mailstreet.com, my company used them for years. there are tons of companies that outsource exchange these days, way better then running it yourself in most cases.

Hosted Exchange is definitely another great solution, you can get plans really cheap, just make sure you do your research, there are a lot of 'crappy ' providers out there.

I guess it really depends on if you want the experience with running your own server, or the flexibility/availability. If it's for learning, then definitely do it yourself, but if you want a plug and play solution, go with a hosted solution.

samgreco - for what you're talking about, I've actually been experimenting with Live mail lately; it's the only service I've found yet that lets me send from any of my email addresses - so it's checking email from all my accounts, and like you mentioned - when I reply, I can choose which address to reply from - and it defaults to whichever account it was sent to. Currently that's how I'm doing my personal business email.

Cost and being M$ product, I tend to think they are the biggest target for security stuff...but again, mostly cost for the license.

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I'll be sticking with my gmail accounts.

--Dan

I only utilize external services (5 or so). Proxy / scan incoming mail.

On an off topic and relating to AT&T Mobile texting. I had a problem that "cropped up" on Christmas day with HS sending messages to AT&T email to mobile texing service. Following transport I didn't see any errors.

Looks like AT&T mobile been checking external mail to text lately via their email proxies.

I principally utilize external email to text for my HS status "stuff". Christmas Eve no HS messages going to AT&T's email servers originating from my WAN IP made it my phone. 3 separate calls to AT&T mobile customer service resulted in no solution.

1 - First call - Christmas Eve - 1st tier seemed to maybe understand what I was saying but passed me to second level support right away. 2nd level support tested and seemed to understand what I was saying. Conclusion was to replace my "problematic" SIM card at a local AT&T store. Personally the issue was unrelated to my SIM card.

2 - Second call - Christmas day - twice got into wait queue and went to a fast busy signal.

3 - Third call - Christmas day - 30 minute wait to get to first tier customer service. First tier had no clue what I was talking about. 2nd tier also didn't understand. After about 15 minutes of trying to explain / test issues I gave up and said thank-you for trying.

I solved the issue myself by changing my WAN MAC/IP address. Worked fine afterwards.

Back