Easy way to control 0-10 volt lights

joe39562

Is there an easy way to control some 0-10v fixtures that I have acquired.  I currently use an elk m1 with homeseer so thats what I would be looking to use to control it with.

I use DIN mounted DC power supplies for LED power here with UPB switches powering up the power supplies via the OmniPro 2 and or Homeseer.  I have multiple UPB Pims here.

I like the DIN compactness/look on a DIN rail versus something like a brick PS.    Easy to mount and wire up too.

sorry I need to be more specific.  These are commercial grade fixtures that get a 120v supply to power the fixture but use a 0-10v signal to control the dimming.  If you dont supply a signal they default to 100% but I would like to be able to dim them.

Yeah not totally sure if you could automate that.  I mean some of the LED 120VAC input 5/12 VDC output have dimmer wired or wireless controls on the LV side.  Not sure how that works though.  (thinking today maybe Z-Wave or Zigbee).

The only module I have seen is an Insteon 2475DA2.
It has two relays in it. To control the AC power to two loads on and off. With a 0-10 volt output to control the lights brightness through its DC control input.

Thinking outside the box a little, do you have a few digital outputs (or relays)? 

If you have 4 outputs, you can make a resistor ladder network to make 16 output levels.  5 outputs would give 32 levels, which would probably be good enough.

I have a number of architectural 0-10v LED fixtures in my new home.  This probably isn't the way to go here, but I control them via Lutron Homeworks.  Homeworks can be configured to drive DMX loads with a protocol converter.  I have about 20 LED zones that I run with DMX (gives really great control).  Once you have DMX as a protocol, there is a simple box to convert DMX into switched relay and 0-10v, so I use those (as a bonus, it's DIN rail mounted).  If I was going to do it again, I would have pulled out the 0-10V dimmer packs in the fixtures and just replaced them with a DMX PWM controller.   The 0-10V fixtures seem to only dim down to about 10% whereas DMX PWM controllers can go down to less than 1%.

Heck. Even two relay outputs could work.

Most lighting doesn't require more than high, medium, low, and Off.

One relay output could do 67% and the other 33%.

Another method would be to use a HA remote dimmer plug-in with an unregulated transformer type 9vdc walwart.

Back