Ek Pro

when I ping my DNS I get a message indicating request timed out.

what does that mean and what do I do

the Ip address showing in my DNS account is not the same as when I type What's my IP address on google. Should they be matching? Could this be the problem?

problem solved. I had the DNS account match my ip address and everything is back to normal. Not sure what would have caused the IP address to not match all of a sudden

anything I should check to make sure this doesn't happen again?

do you have a dynamic IP and are you using a dynamic dns service? they usually offer little tray apps that will auto update your IP. what router? most mid range have dyn hosts built in to do the same thing. if youre using a regular domain (yourname.com), move it into google domains and you can use their free dyndns service on your A record.

all of the above is moot if you get a static IP from your provider. :)

The XEP also has the ability to update a few of the DDNS services:

Attachments

• DynamicDNS.jpg
    DynamicDNS.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 12
drvnbysound said:
The XEP also has the ability to update a few of the DDNS services:
Works with every DNS provider I've run across. You just need to pick who you use as a DNS service and put the valid entries OR install a client on a local machine and run it as a service (assuming proper firewall settings).

For the OP: If you're not paying for a static IP, your address can be changed or reassigned by your ISP at any time, also comes down to the lease time in their configuration and settings. A static IP isn't necessary if you have a DNS service running, but you'll need to have your hardware update your public IP to match your DNS address occasionally

Back