eKeypad problems

pipeman

I installed the eKeypad app and thinking about the upgrade. Two big problems,
1 communication seems okay on the property (probably with a WIFI connection, but I don't know how to confirm that, but cannot make a connection off the property.

2 Everytime I go to the eKeypad website, it locks up my browser window for several minutes and I usually have to force close the window. I have no other browser problems that I am aware of.

Thanks, Sonny

Sonny,

I would be happy to help answer your questions about eKeypad.

You will always see a faster response time when connected to Wifi. However, eKeypad implements a caching mechanism to minimize latency while you are both on 3G and Wifi.

Testing has shown that when you are on wifi the latency (time between eKeypad sending a command and receiving the response) is typically 10-50 ms. This is almost faster than you can perceive. On 3G latency is typically 150-300ms. This produces a very small but noticeable delay. The only times you will notice big delays is when you have a very poor 3G or WIfi connection. I have seen the latency jump up to 3,000ms in rare scenarios. Obviously you will see some status update delays in these cases.

To make a connection over 3G (off property) you need to perform 3 extra steps after you have eKeypad working on your Wifi network.

1. In your router forward port 2601 of your M1-XEP to the internet.
2. Using Elk-RP you need to assign a username and password to the XEP. (see the "Paswords" tab in the XEP setup screens)
3. Update your eKeypad configuration to change the "Network Address" to your routers public IP.

I was not aware of an issue with the web site, but I will investigate. We are in the process of moving to a new domain. You might also try the new URL: http://www.ekeypad.net/

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I have done all of these steps (same kind of port forwarding works fine on my IP cameras) but as soon as I specify my Router's IP address, eKeypad will not connect to the XEP.

Any other ideas of what I could be doing wrong?

Not sure I follow here. ElkRP is not running when I try this. I set eKeypad to connect via my local IP and it connects perfectly and operates the panel great. However, when attempting to connect to my public IP (router) and using port-forwarding to talk to the Elk, then eKeypad will not connect. (I'm pretty sure port forwarding is setup correctly, since it work on my IP cameras).

Looking in ElkRP right now, and I don't see any settings under Globals would would enable/disable control from a non-local IP...

Ah I missed that it was working internally. ElkRP will disconnect other clients that is why you should make sure it isn't running, the globals config is described on the eKeypad site but if it is functioning internally that rules that out.

It could be that your ISP is not allowing the traffic through to your router. You could try to telnet to your external address from outside your network on port 2601 (telnet <extip> 2601) to verify if the traffic is making it to your router and port forwarding is working correctly. A flashing cursor and/or username prompt would indicate success, an error would mean traffic isn't making it.

Swancoat,

Based on your emails your connection could be failing at several steps.

1. XEP internal IP Address. This should be set to a static IP Address. Double check the "Default Gateway" field. It should be set to the internal IP Address of your router.

2. Verify your port forwarding setup for eKeypad. You should be porting TCP traffic for port 2601. Verify that the port forward entry is specifying the correct IP Address for your M1-XEP. I have also seen many entries of port forwarding setups that appear correct but do not do anything. Delete the entry and re-creating it has been effective.

3. If you are using a dynamic dns service, perform an nslookup to verify that your hostname is resolving to the correct IP Address for your router. Verify the update program for your dynamic dns service and make sure it is not receiving any errors and your account is not disabled (a specific issue for free dynamic dns accounts).

Unfortunately you will not be able to telnet to port 2601 as it is SSL encrypted. Telnet can not support this. If you are familiar with openssl you can use the following command line to establish a test connection: openssl s_client -ssl2 -crlf -connect [IP Address]:[Port Number]

if none of these steps are helpful, please post the exact error message eKeypad is displaying. They provide as much information as possible about the cause of issues. In many cases they tell you precisely the cause.

Hey Jayson - Not to hijack the thread... but even on LAN, I see almost 2 seconds delay before lighting commands take... subsequent commands are much faster though... I do have a large UPB installation... But I have found that it works extremely well on 3G.

For the OP - some basic networking experience is extremely important. For a simple test, use a computer on the home network and go to www.myipaddress.com - and make sure the address that shows there is what you're using in eK as the system IP. If you're using a dynamic IP service, do as Jayson suggested and make sure that if you ping the dynamic IP name, it shows the same address as what comes up at www.myipaddress.com.

Also - stupid suggestion, but if you are using a port other than 2601 for your secure port (the one that works locally on the LAN) make sure that's what you're forwarding. 2601 is the default but it's easy to change. Also - when setting up the port forwarding, you'll likely be asked if you want TCP or UDP - make sure it's TCP.

If it works locally, it'll work remotely... it's not the software, it's the network configuration.

Last - Dynamic DNS is the way to go - and I wouldn't trust it on the XEP - I'd use DynDNS.org and put it on the router and/or put a client on a PC at the house... then use that IP as the system address. In doing so, there's a small chance you can make things stop working on your home network - it totally depends on your router (Cisco routers hate doing the hairpinning to go out/in on the same IP; some others just need an extra rule/translation set up...) Normal residential routers such as netgear are much easier.

Encryption is irrelevant. You will still get a connection (flashing cursor). On my system I also get a username prompt, you may also, it looks like the SSL negotiation does not occur until after login (or my firmware has a glaring security hole). But in either case you can test the connection with telnet <extip> 2601 from a command prompt (if you have telnet installed) or using Putty. If you get a flashing cursor (no error) or even a username prompt it is connecting properly.

Also you need to test using 3G or off your network. Some routers do not allow you to access the external ip from an internal address.

I'm similar to the above problems - awesome wifi, but problmes with 3G.
The configuration guide on page 6 states that I have to configure ekeyPad to the routers external address. Does this need to be a static IP address - because at the moment I am getting a dynamic IP address from my ISP. Is this my problem - or do I need to keep trying??
Thanks in advance

Every once and a while the M1XEP will email me that DYNS has changed my IP address. Is this to be expected?

If you have a dynamic IP, as most home users do, it's best to use a Dynamic IP service. DynDNS.Org is one I've been using for about 10 years - I find it best to run their client updater on a PC that's always on in the house, though the XEP and many routers do have the ability to update a dynamic dns service. I chose a PC based updater because my IP rarely changes, so I had to deal with problems around the "every 30 day" checkin.

For testing, go to www.myipaddress.com and plug the IP address shown there into eKeypad. You'll also have to configure port forwarding in your router to forward traffic to your XEP's secure port (2601 by default). Also make sure eKeypad is set to that external IP, and "port is secure" is on.

Once you get it working by IP, then introduce the DynDNS issue... once that's set up correctly, you'll change the hostname to something like yourhouse.dyndns.org... but to simplify troubleshooting, start with your IP from above to make sure you configured your router and the app properly first.

I have been having trouble with dyndns.org, aka dyn.com with a friend's DLink router and switched to tzo.com. I'm also using tzo.com with my Linksys router at home. It's also a bit cheaper.

Back