Elk Alarm Error

Sacedog

My parents set the alarm off today, after which I was promptly notified by NextAlarm, and received my E-mail on my phone. I called my dad, who had just dropped my kids off at school, so he went back to the house. He checked the door that he went out (Laundry Door), and it was locked.

I looked at the log tonight, and this is what it shows:

8 Tue 2/15/2011 8:01 1 1146 = RESTORE BURGLAR ZONE Laundry Door (Zn 25)
9 Tue 2/15/2011 8:01 1 1003 = BURGLAR ALARM ANY AREA Laundry Door (Zn 25)
10 Tue 2/15/2011 8:01 1 1338 = AREA 1 EXIT ERROR
11 Tue 2/15/2011 7:59 1 1173 = AREA ARMED (User 1)

What does Exit Error mean?

On a related note, my mother-in-law recently set off the alarm, and she swore that the keypad never beeped. I came home last week, opened the door, and the keypad started to beep, then stopped with "Lots Comm" on the LCD display. I ended up recripming down the connections, and rebooted the M1 to try to fix that issue.

The M1 has been installed and working for over two years now without issue. I haven't even been in the Elk can (before I recrimped the RJ45 last week) for months.

Any ides on either the Exit Error or the keypad lost comm?

Exit Error is typically where the system is armed and the person leaves but does not secure the exit door. Once the exit delay ends the entry delay will usually start. Once the Entry delay ends if the user code is not entered then the zone trips into alarm. That looks like what happened.

Sometimes a ball contact will stick causing this.

I am confused by this line:

Doesn't that imply that the door sensor became secure within 60 seconds of the alarm sounding? Since the log doesn't give seconds, we don't know the exact time. If it was a bad or sticking sensor, I would have expected it to never change states or change states at least X minutes after the alarm. What are the odds that the sensor would be un-secure JUST long enough to trip the exit error and sound the alarm and then magically work?

(not trying to disagree with anybody, just trying to learn from this)

it seems to me that if that sensor is mounted on a door, that the system was armed the door was open too long past the exit delay time, went into entry delay time, the door was closed and your parents left. when the entry delay time expired and no code was entered the elk went into alam reporting 1) the zone violated 2) the restore of that zone because that door was closed regardless 3) the exit error stating that an entry/exit zone was violated after arming the system.

if you never got that restore signal and your panel is programed to send them then 1) your contact is bad 2) your contact was removed or fell 3) the door was opened but never closed example someone kicked it to enter but left it open.

it seems to me that if that sensor is mounted on a door, that the system was armed the door was open too long past the exit delay time, went into entry delay time, the door was closed and your parents left. when the entry delay time expired and no code was entered the elk went into alam reporting 1) the zone violated 2) the restore of that zone because that door was closed regardless 3) the exit error stating that an entry/exit zone was violated after arming the system.

if you never got that restore signal and your panel is programed to send them then 1) your contact is bad 2) your contact was removed or fell 3) the door was opened but never closed example someone kicked it to enter but left it open.

The door sensors are flush mounted GRI megnetic sensors, so it isn't likely that they got stuck as a ball sensor would. It is more likely that Panamanian's explanation is what happened; they left the door open past the exit dealy, it went into entry delay, then they closed the door and the alarm went off after the entry delay ended.

I am confused by this line:

Doesn't that imply that the door sensor became secure within 60 seconds of the alarm sounding? Since the log doesn't give seconds, we don't know the exact time. If it was a bad or sticking sensor, I would have expected it to never change states or change states at least X minutes after the alarm. What are the odds that the sensor would be un-secure JUST long enough to trip the exit error and sound the alarm and then magically work?

(not trying to disagree with anybody, just trying to learn from this)
Exit Error is a CP01 feature to help prevent false alarms. Statistics show that many false alarms are caused on arming. People take too much time getting out the door.

What happens is the exit delay is about to expire and the person is trying to rush out and close the door in time. Often enough the door is open just a tad too long and the exit time expires just before it closes. So a CPO1 compliant panel is supposed to sound a local alarm (no dialer) and start the entry delay. It is hoped that the person will hear the alarm, then return to disarm and start all over. But if they do nothing the entry delay will end and the EXIT Error event will get set. Now the dialer calls out to report the alarm plus the exit error event. In most cases the report will be Alarm followed by Restoral since the door is now closed, it just wasn't closed in time.

Your situation is a classic example of this.

It is more likely that Panamanian's explanation is what happened; they left the door open past the exit dealy, it went into entry delay, then they closed the door and the alarm went off after the entry delay ended.
So, it is possible/likely that whoever armed the system was able to get out of earshot before the alarm sounded (when the exit delay expired)? Do you have external sounders?

it's possible that the siren sounded if they have one but if the entry/exit delay time is a minute for example then it would be enough time for them to drive off and never hearing the siren

Output 1 and 2 can be delayed or have low volume respectively. Keypad can also have beep volume off or low, so depending on the speaker(s) installed and locations, it's possible they didn't hear the exit tones/alarm properly.

The log spells out the details clearly, alarm armed, door held open past the expiration of the exit delay or as the delay expired. Alarm went off into exit error alarm, then restored. As we in the biz call user error.

I'd look at the globals and keypad details to verify beeps and volumes, but I'm siding on user error. Barring bad connections,which should have turned up far sooner.

Back