ELK battery losing charge after only 5 weeks

Hello,

Question: My ELK keypad is saying my battery is not charged. Can someone help me figure out why.

I have a expansion board with 7 or 8 motions sensors could that be the problem. I am really at a lose, any help with be great.

Thanks,

David

Early death of a sealed lead acid battery is normally due to one of two things:

1. Over voltage going into the battery from the power supply. Measure the voltage on the leads that connect to the battery with the battery disconnected. Ideally you should measure 13.8 to 13.9 volts DC. Over 14.0 volts will boil the water/acid out of the battery with time causing an early death.

2. Under voltage going into the battery. If the voltage is less than 13.6 volts as measured with the battery disconnected, the battery will never reach a full charge level. It will slowly loose its capacity to sustain the system. Sometimes too much current is being drawn from the power supply and its output voltage is decreased.

Early death of a sealed lead acid battery is normally due to one of two things:

1. Over voltage going into the battery from the power supply. Measure the voltage on the leads that connect to the battery with the battery disconnected. Ideally you should measure 13.8 to 13.9 volts DC. Over 14.0 volts will boil the water/acid out of the battery with time causing an early death.

2. Under voltage going into the battery. If the voltage is less than 13.6 volts as measured with the battery disconnected, the battery will never reach a full charge level. It will slowly loose its capacity to sustain the system. Sometimes too much current is being drawn from the power supply and its output voltage is decreased.

Spanky,

I measured the voltage coming from the panel to the battery leads and it was 13.75 vdc. So it looks like it has to be something else. Does ELK warranty batteries and if so for how long and how do I get a replacement.

Other than that, do you have any other ideas before I purchase a new battery from Martin.

Thanks,

David

Too much current drain on the system could be pulling the voltage down. If you are reading 13.75 volts with the battery connected and it has been connected overnight, I would say the battery is weak.

Do a manual battery test with ELK key, 8, 4,1 menu. It will display the battery voltage during the test. Below 12.5 volts is weak.

ELK offers a two year warranty on its batteries. Contact the distributor you purchased the system from.

Too much current drain on the system could be pulling the voltage down. If you are reading 13.75 volts with the battery connected and it has been connected overnight, I would say the battery is weak.

Do a manual battery test with ELK key, 8, 4,1 menu. It will display the battery voltage during the test. Below 12.5 volts is weak.

ELK offers a two year warranty on its batteries. Contact the distributor you purchased the system from.

Spanky,

The 13.75 volts reading was with the battery disconnected as you asked before. I will reconnect the battery and do a battery test in the morning to determine what is reads then. If it is still weak I will call Martin and see about getting another.

Thanks,

David

Spanky,

The 13.75 volts reading was with the battery disconnected as you asked before. I will reconnect the battery and do a battery test in the morning to determine what is reads then. If it is still weak I will call Martin and see about getting another.

Thanks,

David

Spanky,

The did a battery test via the keypad option mentioned above and it read 11.0 V .320 Amps. So that is a weak battery. How can I check to see if I have too much stuff hooked up the 12vdc power on the main board? Maybe I am overloading the system.

Thanks,

David

The M1 drawing 320 ma. is no problem at all for the M1 system. I suggest you have a weak battery. Contact the source you purchased the system from for a warranty battery replacement.

Back