Elk M1 -24VDC Inputs.

Vernnz

I just finished installing a lighting controller. The lighting controller is not from an Elk partner so it does not directly communicate with the M1. I planned to use relay outputs to simulate buttons to activate the individual lights. The problem is the inputs to the Elk from the lighting controller. The lighting controller has LED outputs that I had planned to use as Inputs to the Elk so it knows what lights are on or off. None of my buttons are illuminate4d so I do not have to parrallel the Elk Input with an LED.

Problem: The LED outputs from the lighting controller are -24VDC. That isn't a typo. Negative Volts DC. For an LED all you would have to do is reverse the cathode and anode. I can't reverse the inputs to the Elk Input Expander because two inputs share one common.

1. Can the ELK-M1XIN be programmed to operate at a negative voltage using the ELK-RP?
2. Can the Input Expander safely accept 24VDC? If not I do know how to step it down to the 12VDC that the Elk normally operates on.

The hard way to work around this involves 16 relays triggered from the lighting controller LED signals but that involves a lot more wiring and introduces more points of failure.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Vern

Vern:

Question: Could the LED outputs be open collector transistors pulling to power supply negative when active instead of a -24VDC power supply on the lighting controller?

If you connect a voltmeter with the positive (red) lead going to a 24 VDC voltage and the negative lead (black) going to the LED output, does the voltmeter read +24 VDC or -24VDC when the LED is active. Should it read -24VDC you will have to isolate each output with a relay or opto coupler.

Should it read +24VDC when the LED is active:
Now move the red Positive lead of the voltmeter to the LED output terminal and the negative (black) lead of the voltmeter to some power supply negative terminal on the light controller. What does the voltmeter read when the LED is not active? If it reads 0 volts inactive and 0 volts active, the output is an open collector output and may be connected to an input zone of the M1. When the LED is active, the zone input will be connected to the negative side of the power supply through the transistor allowing for Rules in the M1 to reference the change. Remember you will have to connect the negative side of the Lighting controller power supply to the M1's power supply negative.

What is the lighting controller brand name?

Question: Could the LED outputs be open collector transistors pulling to power supply negative when active instead of a -24VDC power supply on the lighting controller?

Yes! They could. Thank You very much.

What is the lighting controller brand name?

The lighting controller is from Touchplate. (That is their website too.) It is an ACES panel. There isn't a lot of technical info online about it. As I was deciding between the Touchplate and a Centralite I contacted Nick Easterday and he provided me with some of their literature. Do not judge their product by the website. The site is very simple and straight forward. Their product is AWESOME. I did have a problem with one of my relay packs. I notified them, returned it and the replacement was on the way to me before I could call to confirm they had received the bad one.

Thanks again. You were right on.

Vern

I have to make a correction to the above post. They recently updated their website. There is a lot of information on their products and product manuals are now available for download. Sorry for the mistake.

Back