ELK M1 Control Swap

chase314

Hello All,

I recently posted a topic on this forum where I reached out about some issues I was having with my Elk M1 system and it's power system (long story short, I fried the AC power circuit on my Elk M1 Main board). I have a replacement Elk M1 Controller and would like to swap out the two units.  I have backups of the configuration/database from the original/current system, and I'm able to power the old system on via Battery Power, so I'm able to access it over the network temporarily if needed.  Does anyone on the forum have any experience  in swapping out two controllers?

The replacement unit that I received is one without Terminal Blocks, since the previous system is already wired, I was planning on just plugging the existing wired terminals into this new board. I am concerned, however, with the order of operations and the steps to upload the existing configuration/database into the new controller. 

There are a couple of installers near me, though I had a less than ideal experience with the first installer that came out to help diagnose my initial issues, which leaves me hesitant to contact them again.  

Any help and your patience is greatly appreciated, I inherited a pretty elaborate setup when I purchased this house and I'm in new territory. Additionally, since I'm a new forum member, I'm limited to 1 post a day until I hit the threshold of approved posts, so it might take me 24 hours to respond at first. 

Thanks in advance! 

It has been a long time since I replaced my panel and you'd do well to wait for further responses before beginning but since no one has responded yet I'll tell you what I remember.

I believe that I exported the account from the old panel and imported it back to the new panel and it was as simple as that. The problem is that you can't import your account to the new panel until you set up the XEP. Are you familiar with the procedure to find and setup the XEP on your network?

Mike.

Correction

I must have been tired last night. You don't need the XEP to import the Elk account but you do need it to send the imported account to the panel.

I repeat that it's been a while but there is no harm in trying the following as long as you can power up the old panel with battery and export the existing account.

1 I would create a new account using ElkRP2.

2 Then import the exported account from the old panel.

3 Then connect to the panel and send the entire account to the panel.

I don't remember all of the details but I do remember that it was not difficult.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
Correction

I must have been tired last night. You don't need the XEP to import the Elk account but you do need it to send the imported account to the panel.

I repeat that it's been a while but there is no harm in trying the following as long as you can power up the old panel with battery and export the existing account.

1 I would create a new account using ElkRP2.

2 Then import the exported account from the old panel.

3 Then connect to the panel and send the entire account to the panel.

I don't remember all of the details but I do remember that it was not difficult.

Mike.

Mike,
Apologies for my delayed response. Thanks for your advice...  I've never configured/set up a XEP before, but there already is one in place and plugged into the original/old board.  A couple of quick questions:

Why I set up a new account usingELKRP2? Is that "new account" to represent the new board?
Should I be able to connect my new board to the XEP through the serial connector that is already in place, or should I connect the board directly to the PC via a serial cable? 

Thanks in advance! 

chase314 said:
Mike,
Apologies for my delayed response. Thanks for your advice...  I've never configured/set up a XEP before, but there already is one in place and plugged into the original/old board.  A couple of quick questions:

Why I set up a new account usingELKRP2? Is that "new account" to represent the new board?

Yes you start a new account with the serial number of the new panel. Then import the old account info that you exported from the old panel. At least that is how I remember it.

chase314 said:
Should I be able to connect my new board to the XEP through the serial connector that is already in place, or should I connect the board directly to the PC via a serial cable? 

Thanks in advance! 

Yes you can connect the XEP to the new panel and then search for it in the M1XEP setup section of the ElkRP account.
 You could connect the pc directly to the serial port but I see no advantage to that unless you have trouble with the XEP. You will have to look at the install manual for details or wait for a reply here from someone who has done this more recently than I to walk you through it. There are some installers here who may be able to help.

Mike.

I've never had a need to connect a computer directly to the panel here. I've always worked through the XEP.

Mike.

It never occurred to me to use the old account with my new panel. It just seemed best to start with a clean slate.

Very interesting, you make a good point about the serial number. I can see on the Account Details tab that there is an entry for that...but I might run into issues with the versioning being mismatched, I think you had a good idea about importing the settings on a new account.  There is a local guy who has some experience in this I might have assist me...

Hello, 

I just wanted to give a quick update- I followed  the recommended steps and I'm 85% of the way there! I followed the steps you recommended and the new control is in place and most systems seem to be online. One of my zone expanders does not seem to be working (the LED on that card is not flashing and none of the zone inputs on that card are showing voltage being returned). That being said, i was having trouble with the Zone Expanders before this all started, so I'm nearly back to square one. 

I also need to do a little bit of wiring for the Battery Backup cables (the previous owner spliced them into other cables to make them longer, he used some kind of crimp to join the new cables though, so I need to rewire those so I can reconnect to the battery backup).  

Any advise on how to diagnose an expansion card that doesn't seem to be getting power/working?  

I'm learning a lot (man I was nervous switching everything out)!

First thing to do with the input expander is to check for voltage with a volt meter. Make sure that the polarity is correct between the supply and the card and make sure that the common (-) is connected between the M1 and the expander.

Mike.

Back