ELK M1 DST issue again?

Work2Play said:
Mine always works correctly the day of - then a day or two later, it gets screwy - then within a week it straightens itself out.

Maybe I'll do some firmware updates tonight - when the family isn't napping...

video321 said:
Exactly what my system does.

My system used to do the same exact thing. I updated the firmware and it hasn't happened since.

For reference, I am currently at 5.2.10. I haven't looked recently for a later version.

New M1G install powered up 8 days ago. DST xition was flawless.

FW is 5.2.4, which is strange. Brand new unit just received from AO with 5.2.4 installed, but Elk support site lists 5.2.10 as latest.

206 said:
FW is 5.2.4, which is strange. Brand new unit just received from AO with 5.2.4 installed, but Elk support site lists 5.2.10 as latest.

Firmware version 5.2.4 is the most recent version that has been evaluated by UL.  Since the M1 is UL listed, it can't ship with a version that has not been evaluated by UL.

RAL said:

Firmware version 5.2.4 is the most recent version that has been evaluated by UL.  Since the M1 is UL listed, it can't ship with a version that has not been evaluated by UL.
Aha! Thanks. I'll check the release notes to see if an update is worthwhile. I noticed .8 and .10 both had DST bug fixes.

Just heard mine do its time announcement, still an hour late... maybe I'll be doing a firmware update shortly...

Good grief. Why does this damn thing have so much trouble with simple clock functionality.

Mine has been screwed up since the latest DST changeover. Figuring it was a firmware issue, I've been postponing until today only to realize I already have the most recent firmware!

Checking ElkRP, DST is enabled and set for second Saturday in March to First Sunday in November. I've managed to correct it once again with a 'set date and time from pc' operation, but for what this panel cost, I'd expect it to be able to tell the time on its own, not require me to manually set the clock twice a year. I'm astonished this still appears to not work right.

I suppose another thing to note, is what time servers are you guys using? Mine has worked fine since I upgraded the firmware.

I looked on Sunday morning following the time change, and noticed that mine also had jumped ahead two hours.  I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.  I just looked now, and it's back to the correct time.  I have mine setup to sync time with a network time server, and I'm wondering if that comes into play with those of us that are having issues vs. those of us who aren't.  The good news is that it fixed itself (maybe after the next time sync?).

dw886 said:
I have mine setup to sync time with a network time server, and I'm wondering if that comes into play with those of us that are having issues vs. those of us who aren't.
Definitely a possibilty.  I don't sync with NTP, and I don't see the problems like others do.

That's quite likely...  If you figure, mine for instance handle the time change just fine the day it's supposed to - then ~2 days later goes to crap - it's probably adjusting as intended, but then doesn't know WTF to do with the NTP time adjustment so it ends up off. Eventually it straightens itself out (Wasn't the big DST change only about a week anyway? If so that might explain when it figures itself out).

snakevargas - I'm bummed to see your post - since after I made mine above, I did the firmware updates on mine (which included waking the wife from a deep sleep - not good)... it took about 2 days, but then the time was fixed again. I'm not sure if it's the same time it would've normally fixed itself, or if it finally checked in with my NTP server and straightened itself out.

I agree it's stupid that the brain of a system I paid this much money for can't handle something so basic and critical as the current time...  As someone who runs technology departments, it's almost beyond comprehension that this bug has lasted more than a week since first introduced - let alone what - 3-4 years? Talk about a top to bottom total failure... conversely, as a consumer, I'll live... the timestamp on my automation system isn't going to change my life that much.

Unrelated to Elk and related to my past issues with the HAI OPII panel and "time". 

The "time" thing caused me a bit of grief relating to scheduled "on time" events; none of them really critical.

Personally just adjusted the bar (coefficient of determination).

Spanky (very personable ) Elk "Obi-Wan Kenobi" listens and reads. Bend his ear.

pete_c said:
Unrelated to Elk and related to my past issues with the HAI OPII panel and "time". 

The "time" thing caused me a bit of grief relating to scheduled "on time" events; none of them really critical.

Personally just adjusted the bar (coefficient of determination).

Spanky (very personable ) Elk "Obi-Wan Kenobi" listens and reads. Bend his ear.
His ear should be multiple hairpin curves in different directions by now...

Back