ELK M1 DST issue again?

Mine is set to update at 2:18am.

As stated previously in this tread, mine has been working without any issue since I updated to 5.2.10.

Mine has started keeping time since I disabled the time servers.

I wonder if it has something to do with which server is configured? Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had configured before I set it to blank.

snakevargas said:
Mine has started keeping time since I disabled the time servers.

I wonder if it has something to do with which server is configured? Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had configured before I set it to blank.

The part that is puzzling is that a NTP timestamp returns the time as a 64-bit number that is the number of seconds since 00:00 UT on Jan 1, 1900.   So it shouldn't matter which time server you use -the time offset that is returned should be the same.  And if for some reason a time server was using the wrong offset, a whole lot of people would be complaining, not just ELK users.

RAL said:
The part that is puzzling is that a NTP timestamp returns the time as a 64-bit number that is the number of seconds since 00:00 UT on Jan 1, 1900.   So it shouldn't matter which time server you use -the time offset that is returned should be the same.  And if for some reason a time server was using the wrong offset, a whole lot of people would be complaining, not just ELK users.

I'll try disabling my NTP servers before the next time sync and see how it goes in the fall.  It might be failing because the ELK is doing the math incorrectly when applying local time to the NTP server's returned time.

I've been ignoring it for years now as it usually corrects itself after a few weeks for me and I don't want to upgrade to the non-UL certified code, I am running the latest UL certified code.

I appreciate the feedback everyone is giving!

Steve

sau said:
I've been ignoring it for years now as it usually corrects itself after a few weeks for me and I don't want to upgrade to the non-UL certified code, I am running the latest UL certified code.

ELK released a new version of code, 5.3.0, a couple of weeks ago, which is UL certified.  No word though on whether it is supposed to fix the DST problem.  If everything else is running fine for you, I'm not sure I would upgrade.

RAL said:
ELK released a new version of code, 5.3.0, a couple of weeks ago, which is UL certified.  No word though on whether it is supposed to fix the DST problem.  If everything else is running fine for you, I'm not sure I would upgrade.

I am thinking of adding Z-Wave locks to my config so I decided to give the new firmware a try and upgraded it last night.  Turns out it upgraded my boot version as well.  Its not that I needed the update to use Z-Wave... I just have a habit of refreshing everything before I make major changes to my setup.  We'll see how it goes in the fall!  :)

Steve

I think it is still wrong in 5.2.10 and elk m1xep 1.3.28. It did not update the clock today,1 nov 2015.  I guess the highly qualified ELK programmers did not consider the case where the 1st Sunday is also the first day of November. I had to disable DST observation in the globals. I have not updated to more recent FW since I still have the "old" 2G GE wireless receiver, not supported in latest ELK M1 FW. Also am reluctant to update my m1xep for this reason. Unless someone could confirm that the DST transition worked for them with the latest FW. Thanks but color me annoyed at ELK. My rules are accurate. BTW Time server configured for m1xep & updated at 4:33am daily from time-a.nist.gov. 

42etus said:
My Elk made the change without issue. All sunrise/sunset programming  worked as intended. 
Which firmware on the M1 and M1XEP? What time server are you using? What DST settings (1st Sun of Nov?). Thanks.

guho said:
Which firmware on the M1 and M1XEP? What time server are you using? What DST settings (1st Sun of Nov?). Thanks.
M1 - 5.2.4   
XEP- 1.3.28
Time syncs to my computer
DST - First Sunday in November

Mine actually worked.  I am using 5.2.10 and 2.0.34 on the xep.  Both of these are new firmware versions to my system.

This the first time it has worked.  However, last spring I believe it got messed up like a week after DST started.  But at that time I believe it also messed up on the DST day.  

Anyway, so good so far.

Back