Elk M1 foiled a break-in

midian

Elk foiled a break-in

Wow...what a horrible feeling of violation. My wife and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood on 1.3 acres out in beautiful town in southern New Hampshire. When we bought this house, the previous owner went so far as to say that they hardly ever bothered to even lock the doors. Having lived in San Francisco and Seattle previously, I decided to install an ELK M1 in this new house both for security and home automation.

Yesterday, my wife drove me to a doctor appointment, leaving around 10:30am. My wife and I were talking as we pulled up in the driveway sort of distracting us both. Thus, we both failed to notice the flashing red strobe indicating the alarm had been tripped. In fact, my wife used the wireless fob to disarm the house as normal and we both pulled into the garage oblivious to the potential danger that could have been waiting inside. It was not until we were inside the house and found the window forced open that we realized what had happened.

Once we phoned it in, the police arrived very quickly and helped take a look around. After investigation, it became evident that the would be perpetrators had gone around the back of our house and tried the windows and doors. They lucked out, my wife had left a ground floor window to our utility room unlocked and the window slid right open. Thankfully, the Elk M1 did its job, caught the magnetic window sensor zone violation, and announced the presence of a security system in that oh so sinister manner with both male and female spoken warnings accompanied by a siren. It seems the M1's bark proved ominous enough that the intruder(s) turned tail and fled.

You are probably wondering, why didn't the monitoring company pick this up? Well, that would be because I did not have the Elk connected to a monitoring service. Of course, I will be researching monitoring companies and getting that setup this weekend.

I did have a notification system in place where the elk should have emailed both of our cell phones to indicate the alarm. Though, for some reason, the elk ethernet expander failed to send the messages. Actually, to be more precise, it did send the messages, but my ISP rejected the messages because the email had a blank “from†address. I tested the ethernet expander in the RP to find that it continued to fail. After re-flashing the firmware on the EXP, the email now seems to be working and properly included the from address. Still, I am really upset that the Ethernet expander failed in the first place and not so sure how much faith I want to place in this device in the future.

In summary, the Elk M1 system just saved my family from what could have been a much worse situation. I am grateful that two years after an installation, most of the system worked as intended. However, this was a huge wakeup call for me: It is critical to test your alarm system regularly! My failed Ethernet expander meant that I did not receive the alarm notification I was expecting. Most importantly, alarms do very little good if you don't have them monitored.

Now that this has occurred, my wife is absolutely freaking out. I am normally at work during the day and my wife is normally home alone working in an upstairs office. If we had not been gone, my wife's normal routine would have meant the alarm would have been disarmed and my wife might not have heard the entry being a floor up and across the house. Thinking this potential situation through makes me sick. In fact, my wife is wondering if the intruder might have actually expected her to be there...

Needless to say, the house will now be armed in stay mode all the time, I will be working from home for a few days, monitoring will be activated promptly, and my wife now has a Glock in her desk drawer.

I am telling this story in the hopes that it might help other people re-think their personal home security situations too. It does not matter where you live, no neighborhood is immune to crime. Be safe...

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with our forum members. Reading posts like this gives us more motivation in taking the necessary steps (including testing as you stated) to protect our family and property with our systems!

Gald to hear that the alarm - while not perfect - worked well enough to prevent a break-in. If there is any "good news" out of this it is the fact that your wife absolutely will not complain about the cost of something right now if you want to "expand" your system a little. :p

On a serious note, perhaps adding another stobe light inside the garage would help out. If you missed the outside light, hopefully one that is more "in your face" would be noticed. Do you and the wife normally disarm the alarm before pulling into the garage? I couldn't determine the exact order of events. If so, I would recommend that you wait at least until you have pulled into the garage and are getting out of the car before you disarm the alarm. In fact, I'm not a big fan of the keyfobs for disarming the system at all. I'd rather have to manually disarm the system once I am safely inside the house. That way I could always put in a "duress" alarm code should someone force their way into the house or jump me while I am still in the garage. The duress code will cause the system to dial out for help without activating the local alarm. Therefore help should come without tipping off the bad guys that the alarm is tripped. That change in your standard operating proceedure may help you and your wife feel more comfortable coming home to an empty house.

I also agree that monitoring is very much needed - especially since your neighbors are not sitting right on top of you.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am really grateful and feel that things turned out the best they possibly could have.

Gald to hear that the alarm - while not perfect - worked well enough to prevent a break-in. If there is any "good news" out of this it is the fact that your wife absolutely will not complain about the cost of something right now if you want to "expand" your system a little. :p
If there is a silver lining, this is it. Actually, I just placed an order for two Axis wireless cameras today. My wife actually demanded the purchase. :throwup: I am going to setup ZoneMinder and hopefully integrate it with the elk. One camera will cover the front yard and the second camera will cover the back. I cannot let a camera trip the alarm because we get deer and all kinds of wildlife on our property. My thought is that ZoneMinder could trigger a chime maybe and at least ftp images of that moved off-site. I have not really worked with this much, so I will have to see what is possible.

On a serious note, perhaps adding another stobe light inside the garage would help out. If you missed the outside light, hopefully one that is more "in your face" would be noticed. Do you and the wife normally disarm the alarm before pulling into the garage? I couldn't determine the exact order of events.

We have a drive-in garage with automatic doors attached to the house. I put a red strobe right above and between the two doors thinking that would do. However, in our laziness, we got into the habit of disarming farther away as we first pull in the L-shaped driveway. Wireless is really the only option for arming/disarming. However, I will probably install another strobe clearly visible when we first approach the house from the street. With that said, the main issue is that we really depended on the Ethernet expander to email and notify us in case of alarm. I guess the lesson learned is that it is not smart to depend on any one feature to notify you of an alarm state, especially not one as fragile as email.

I also agree that monitoring is very much needed - especially since your neighbors are not sitting right on top of you.
Definitely. I am going to research cell dialing modules too.

I know the feeling of being violated. Had an apartment broken into once and all electronics stolen. Couldn't sleep for a week. Glad everything worked out.

I do agree with Brian on the use of a keypad. I think wireless disarm is a bad idea for alot of reasons but whatever works...

I also like to use those piezo screamer sirens inside the house. The good part is that if you put enough of them, the perps won't even be able to stay inside for fear of their ears bleeding, the downside is if you ever set off the alarm accidentally, you get that dose of ear bleeding sound.

Email on the M1 went thru alot of changes with different ISP's, etc, so its good to check it. Usually once you get the email up and running its pretty reliable. If you don't monitor its a good idea to let the M1 at least dial you and give you the message. You can do this in addition to the email.

Oh, one more thing: We put in a keypad in our MBR as a panic button, plus I twice had a false alarm at 3am and was able to look at the keypad next to the bed to determine exactly where to go. (the wife went to the kids room, and was prepared to go an alternate route if need be).

The wife really likes that, esp as the police/etc buttons are now very close by.

Glad to hear it worked out OK, and thank you for sharing your store. As BSR said, this helps all of us finish what we should have. I still have not hooked our alarm up to monitoring, or hooked up my strobes...guess what I will be doing this weekend. :p I also put in cameras with a DVR, which gives a large sense of security. I purchased a bunch of "Premise Monitored via CCD, 24x7" stickers, and put them around the house. With the visable cameras, and stickers, hopefully the thief will prefer to go on to the next house.

and my wife now has a Glock in her desk drawer.

Oh, and we have a Springfield XD in the bedroom and a Sig in the office (rooms are on opposite ends of the house). Both are in a a GunVault hand gun safe. Even if you do not have kids, I would suggest putting your firearms in a safe. With a little practice with the GunVault, you only lose about 1.5 seconds in retreiving your firearm. Also, make sure your wife has been to the firing range so that she is proficient in its operation. I used to teach firearms safety, and can't tell you the amount of people who have firearms in their house, and have no idea how to use them...it's scary.

Oh, one more thing: We put in a keypad in our MBR as a panic button, plus I twice had a false alarm at 3am and was able to look at the keypad next to the bed to determine exactly where to go. (the wife went to the kids room, and was prepared to go an alternate route if need be).

The wife really likes that, esp as the police/etc buttons are now very close by.

Another great idea, that I put in. I installed one in the Master Bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one in the garage. The garage one is in the event of someone following you into the garage, which happened to a collegue of my wife's years ago. She got beat up pretty bad...had there been a panic switch that she could have gotten to, she might have been able to scare off the perp.

Glad to hear it worked out OK, and thank you for sharing your store. As BSR said, this helps all of us finish what we should have.

I am glad it helped with motivation. However, I am just as guilty. My lack of testing and leaving things in an unfinished state almost really cost me.

Sacedog said:
Oh, and we have a Springfield XD in the bedroom and a Sig in the office (rooms are on opposite ends of the house). Both are in a a GunVault hand gun safe. Even if you do not have kids, I would suggest putting your firearms in a safe. With a little practice with the GunVault, you only lose about 1.5 seconds in retreiving your firearm. Also, make sure your wife has been to the firing range so that she is proficient in its operation. I used to teach firearms safety, and can't tell you the amount of people who have firearms in their house, and have no idea how to use them...it's scary.

Funny, we just talked about GunVaults today! My primary objection has been that some one could just pick up the safe and walk away with it. However, I since learned that they can be bolted down. Thus, yes, we are going to order two of these vaults very soon. Oh, and yes, the wife and I both went through firearms safety courses. Plus, we go out and brush up about once a year. We are not "gun nuts" or anything. We feel that the guns are just a self-defense insurance policy that we hope to never need to use. Still, I agree that if you own it, you should be responsible with training and safe storage.

The police office gave us some really interesting information too. He explained that most home robberies in this area are done by crews that drive around looking for what he called "tweener" houses: houses that are not super upscale most likely with security systems, but that are nice enough to have a decent haul. In short, the crooks hit the middle class hardest :p. Is there no honor amongst thieves?

In short, the crooks hit the middle class hardest :rockon:. Is there no honor amongst thieves?

Are you sure these crooks aren't politicians too. :p

Yeah, i have both of my Gun Vaults bolted down, and out of plain sight. They have a new one that uses biometrics, and has gotten very good reviews for reliability. In addition to the fingerprint reader, it has the same finger-slot buttons for unlocking it if there is an issue with the fingerprint reader. I haven't personally tried one yet.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. :throwup: I am reminded that I also have some glass breaks that I still need to hook up....

I am going to research cell dialing modules too.

I've been rather happy with the RP200GSXMUSA AGM GSM Cellular Remote Alarm Module.

It's very flexible...in fact it duplicates some of the things that ELK can do like email and SMS notifications. It also provides a dial tone so that you can use land line phones as if they were hooked to a land line. In fact, we dropped our land line and just use an extra "family" number on our cell service for our house phone.

You can even control it via SMS if you are so inclined (it only takes SMS commands from specific phone numbers...but that still violates my 'no outside control' rule for my security system.)

Here's the Brochure, User Manual and Installation and Programming Guide if you are interested in checking it out.

(I don't work for any of these guys, just a user who's been happy with the product. Although I can't say I use even half of the features, nor have I tried any other systems.)

Most importantly, alarms do very little good if you don't have them monitored.

Not sure I agree with that part, as you found yourself....just the noise and flashing lights was enough to scare him away (assuming it wasn't the sound of you guys arriving home). At this point, that's all our security consists of. I plan to add a big dog to the equation, and then I think we'll have as good as we need.

Back