Elk M1 - HVAC control using CoolMaster?

cezar_oz

Has anyone tried to control the HVAC using CoolMaster kit from xdimax.com?

It seems to be fairly straightforward and it looks like that you only need to run one serial cable from M1 panel to the CoolMaster box (which in turn plugs directly into HVAC bus).

Q1: How easily can the actual commands (e.g. set, stat, carriage return ,etc) be programmed in M1?
Q2: In default M1 interface - how much flexibility do I have to configure buttons to interrogate & control my thermostats through CoolMaster (without buying Designer software)?
Q3: Can the responses from CoolMaster be parsed and displayed in a more meaningful way (rather than a single string of digits, etc)?
Q4: Can the M1 on-board serial port be configured (baud rate, etc) to connect directly to CoolMaster - or do I need a serial expander?

Thanks heaps

From what you are describing, a PC-based software solution would be better. The M1 can send ASCII strings out its serial port, but the number of strings are limited and the interface options are very limited. Have you looked into a software package like CQC, Homeseer, et al? They are expandable to the point where you can write your own drivers to do whatever you want.

From what you are describing, a PC-based software solution would be better. The M1 can send ASCII strings out its serial port, but the number of strings are limited and the interface options are very limited. Have you looked into a software package like CQC, Homeseer, et al? They are expandable to the point where you can write your own drivers to do whatever you want.

This has certainly crossed my mind. What I am trying to understand is - realistically - where is the boundary of what M1 can natively do - and at what point do I need to bring on another tool.

Back