Elk M1 - Insteon, w800 with X10 - It this possible?

Madcodger

All,

I'm toying with the idea of moving my Insteon system out of HomeSeer and over to the M1. However, I have about two dozen X10 RF motion sensors that are currently received by my w800 (connected to the HomeSeer PC) and I would like to move the w800 over to the M1 as well to avoid having to run the HomeSeer PC 24x7.

Because Insteon on the M1 makes use of lighting addresses 1 - 192 for individual device addresses (essentially house codes A - L), and 193 - 255 for group addresses (house codes M - P), is this even possible? I realize I'll need two M1XSP devices, but is there any way to have the w800 recognize the X10 motion sensors if Insteon is also being used?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes you can do it. Two M1XSP's. Do not use overlapping X10 addresses so you can maintain the proper status in the M1.

It works well. My Insteon devices are currently lighting devices 1-28 and an X-10 motion under the eve of the house at the top of my outside back stairs is 174(k14). When you step out onto the top of the stairs after dark the M1 (through the W800) turns on the low-voltage lights on the stairs controlled by an Insteon relay switch.

Let us know how it works for you as I want to do the same thing. I am planning to use an ISY-99.9 for my Elk/Insteon interface and connect a W800RF32A to the Elk for motion sensors in a couple of places I can't get wires to. If this doesn't work out I will have to switch to pulsars in those locations.

I actually have all of this hardware lying around to do this as well. I added another 28 " cabinet a few weeks ago and planned on putting another serial module in the system but I already filled the can :eek:

I think I have a 14" can somewhere I can mount. At the moment I have three 28" cans and two 14" cans PACKED.

The system keeps growing and growing and growing...............

That is my exact setup, w800 m1xsp x10/insteon, m1xsp on the elk it runs everything.

I have it set to do things like turn on certain lights at certain times like when I open the utility room door and its dark out side the outside lights come on, great for letting the dog out. Wife really likes that one.

Thanks for the replies. I'm updating my M1XSP for the Insteon lighting right now, and just ordered 3 more to handle a W800, RFXcom (hope that'll work on the Elk) and another for a future project. I'm moving as much as possible to my Elk, as it's the most reliable part of my automation system. Hoping it cures some of my many Insteon woes, too...

Will keep everyone posted.

Joe

I'm moving as much as possible to my Elk, as it's the most reliable part of my automation system. Hoping it cures some of my many Insteon woes, too...

Joe

But isn't the Elk a little light on memory to be moving everything there? Seems like you will run out of programming space pretty quickly.

I'm moving as much as possible to my Elk, as it's the most reliable part of my automation system. Hoping it cures some of my many Insteon woes, too...

Joe

But isn't the Elk a little light on memory to be moving everything there? Seems like you will run out of programming space pretty quickly.

That's certainly a concern I have, but I'm going to start with the Insteon, then the W800, and go as far as I can. I'll keep you posted... The Elk is just the most stable piece of electronic equipment I own, so I'd rather start there as a great foundation.

Hi Madcodger,

I just getting back into home automation and I see that you have a fairly similar setup.  I have an Elk M1 as well and just bought a ISY-994i and the Elk module.  I also have a W800RF32A that I used to use when I used HomeSeer.

What I'm wondering is if I buy an M1XSP to connect the W800RF32A to the M1, will the ISY-994i see the X10 commands received on the M1?  If so do they appear just like "regular" X10 commands?

Is there anything special you need to do to connect the W800RF32A to the Elk?

Thanks!

Mick

I have this set up in a different house (sold other one) and it works well. But I have the W800 triggering outputs on Elk, and ISY sees those. I honestly don't know if ISYcan see the actual x10 commands, b/c this system using outputs works so well. M1XSP should be all you need assuming you have the connector to tie it in when serial is used for XEP.

Back