Elk M1 phone fault

Tombo

I was getting phone faults intermittently on my M1 keypad. Sure enought I would pick up the phone and it was dead. I hit the hangup button a couple times and the phone comes back online. I am using Vonage so that might be causing some problems for the Elk. Anyway, I decided to disconnect the phone all together from the Elk M1. My problem is the damn phone fault is still showing up! How do you clear a warning from the system? I have already set the global param to not use the phone. I even power cycled. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

You might want to try clearing all pending phone dialing attempts. I believe it is near the keypad menu for sending a test signal.

Change the telephone number type to disabled which will disable the telephone. You may need to cycle power to clear the phone fault since you already have one.

Spanky said:
Change the telephone number type to disabled which will disable the telephone. You may need to cycle power to clear the phone fault since you already have one.
Thanks Spanky,

I did miss that I had it dialing out too so after I disabled it the phone fault went away. Did not have to power cycle either.

Tom

Tombo said:
I was getting phone faults intermittently on my M1 keypad. Sure enought I would pick up the phone and it was dead. I hit the hangup button a couple times and the phone comes back online. I am using Vonage so that might be causing some problems for the Elk. Anyway, I decided to disconnect the phone all together from the Elk M1. My problem is the damn phone fault is still showing up! How do you clear a warning from the system? I have already set the global param to not use the phone. I even power cycled. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
I'm having this exact same problem and am using Vonage as well. The problem started ocurring after I installed the latest set of firmware updates to the M1. I haven't determined if this a Vonage problem or an Elk. It almost seems like the Elk is holding onto the phone line longer than it needs to. I don't know if the Vonage device drops the signal or not to start this problem, but I can usually recover after dismissing the Elk error on the keypad.

I'm going to try to troubleshoot this a bit on the next occurrence. Instead of hiting '*' to dismiss the phone fault error message, I'll just disconnect the Rj31x jack and see if I still have a dial tone. Are there any other suggestions to isolating this problem?

I am running the latest firmware and Vonage. No problems, only 1 phone fault in the last 2 months... And I know it went out (I unplugged the vonage box) :)

Black, The exact same problem had my underwear in a knot just last week. I pushed a FW (4.2.2) update to a customer's M1 over TCP/IP. Next day I received a failure to test on the customer's account from my Central Station. The customer verified that the key pad was displaying "Phone fault" I spent an hour at the premises reloading the firmware, power cycling the M1 and attempting to perform a manual dialer test - all to no avail. A call to Brad Weeks at Elk clued me in to the following:
With the new firmware upgrade (4.4.2) comes an option for the M1 to utilize telephone lines in other countries which have different line and dialing characteristics than in the U.S. Elk RP sometimes will not default this option to the United States.

The fix for me was with the M1 connected to RP, go to Globals in RP, choose the "miscellaneous" tab. Locate the drop down box at the bottom and set the country to anything but the U.S. Send this to the M1 then change it back to "United States" and send that. this should take care of this funny phone fault.

securitybill said:
Black, The exact same problem had my underwear in a knot just last week. I pushed a FW (4.2.2) update to a customer's M1 over TCP/IP.
Same problem here. After upgrading to 4.2.2 the system would go into phone fault at power-up and stay that way for a while. The phone line is a regular land line. I just tried switching the country and I'll see if that helps.

Thanks

Back