ELK M1 Reporting Non Violated Zones

rfdesq

Here is this mornings log from NextAlarm of one of my customers.

Oct 07, 2006 04:14:47 AM External Siren 2 Restored
Oct 07, 2006 04:07:20 AM External Siren 2 Failure
Oct 07, 2006 04:07:17 AM External Siren 2 Restored
Oct 07, 2006 04:05:06 AM External Siren 2 Failure
Oct 07, 2006 04:05:01 AM Interior Violation Master Bedroom Motion - (Zone 5)
Oct 07, 2006 04:04:58 AM Perimeter Violation Front Door - (Zone 1)
Oct 07, 2006 04:04:44 AM Interior Violation Master Bedroom Motion - (Zone 5)

The External Siren 2 Failures were caused by an overcurrent condition based on running two ELK-45's not on MilliMiserâ„¢ setting. I would like to avoid having to rewire the sirens if at all possible. I would appreciate anyone who has powered two ELK-45's from the M1 without overcurrenting and without rewiring the sirens to respond. To those who are using two ELK 150-RT's beware, it tests fine but after it runs for a few minutes it overcurrents. It is so annoying that in testing I generally don't let the siren wail for more than a minute so it never overcurrented in testing.

My biggest concern is the reporting to the CS the front door violation when in fact there was none. If you look at the log it looks like someone got in the master and went out the front door. Based on that it looked like it might have been a real alarm. However, the front door never violated and was dead bolted. There was a previous thread about this adjacent zone false violation reporting condition but I could not find it. I would like to revive that thread here and determine if anything is being done about it. I am using 4.4.2 firmware, one step down from the latest. TIA

I can't help you with your problem, but would you consider replacing the sirens themselves with something else that did not draw as much current? Even on millimiser setting those Elk-45's will draw 700 mA.

I use three of the Moose MPI-47 brand of "piezo screamers" with an Elk's siren output. They only draw 175 milliamps of current and yield 112 db of sound at 1 meter.

They are under $11 from Worthingtons (Cat #'s MPMPI-47, MPMPI-47B, MPMPI-47C, MPMPI-47E).

I would consider replacing the sirens. I'd like to know if two ELK-45's on millimiser will overcurrent the M1. Also, I looked at these sirens per your post and they are all indoor models. I'm looking for an outdoor model that will fit in ELK's stainless steel can. Thanks.

you can series the sirens to lower the total current draw.

I have yet to install the M1 panel, but does the front door wire to the keypad zone? If it does and the and the panel looses its 12V output the keypad zone and the motion would go into alarm. The motion shows up first because it is an instant alarm and the delay door second. Of course I don't even know yet if Elk keypads support zones.

Spanky said:
Make sure the M1 has the latest software upgrade for zone reporting.
Was this glitch fixed in 4.4.4? I don't see any release notes. Any suggestion on the siren situation? Thanks to everyone.

gizzmo said:
you can series the sirens to lower the total current draw.
Is wiring the sirens in series an acceptable practice with the supervisory nature of the output? And, will it lower the current draw enough so as not to overcurrent the panel while still providing sufficient volume? I just reviewed the M1 installation manual. Even one ELK-45 draws more current, 1.2 amps, than the M1 can provide which is 1 amp. Does this make sense?

Wiring the sirens in series has always been a way to lower the total current but the downside is if one siren fails nothing works and the volume is slightly lower. As to the question on supervision, I need to see what the panel is looking for but you should still be able to supervise the circuit.

Please be patient, the first M1 I have seen is on a table at the office and until I install it I am speaking in general terms. I took a tour through Wade Moose's production plant back in the early 80's. Used lots of his panels until the MPI-725 (disaster) and this is the first panel I have bought since then. I guess that speaks volumes on what a great panel the 725 was. I know the ELK M1 is not in any way related and is a good product. I gave it some time and plan on putting it in my own home.

gizzmo said:
Wiring the sirens in series has always been a way to lower the total current but the downside is if one siren fails nothing works and the volume is slightly lower.
No problem with the lower volume. Big problem with one bad siren taking out both. I'll be on the telephone with ELK support tomorrow morning.

In the dark ages we would wire two exterior sirens in series and the interior siren in parallel as a backup. You can also modify the current draw by using resistors to balance the load.

gizzmo said:
In the dark ages we would wire two exterior sirens in series and the interior siren in parallel as a backup. You can also modify the current draw by using resistors to balance the load.
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't put my internal speakers on the same circuit because I use Output 1 for internal voice messages. Here's the latest:

The entry/exit delay door falsely tripping is a firmware glitch that apparently has been fixed in 4.4.4 even though the tech notes don't mention it.

I have decided, after speaking with ELK tech support, to put a relay on Output 2. The normally open relay will be wired from a four amp power supply and feed two ELK-45's. I will lose the supervisory nature of Output 2 since it is only seeing the relay coil but I can live with that. I have it working on the bench now and there is no Output 2 trouble. It pulses on fire alarm just as a direct connection to Output 2 would. The ELK-45 predates the M1 so it really wasn't designed for it. Even two ELK-45's on millimiser will overcurrent the M1.

Back