Elk M1 send email through gmail or comcast?

It works fine. I use it with my Elk. SSL doesn't care what is carried through it. You have it backwards, SSL is negotiated first, then once a tunnel is established the protocol running over it is negotiated.

SSL is *not* negotiated first in the case of port 25 or 587.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not pertinent to the O.P.'s issues with stunnel anyway.

It is pertinent to his issue.

It appears stunnel supports TLS on port 25 and 587, but it's because they implemented support for it. SSL does not happen on these ports until the STARTTLS command is issued to the server, which is plaintext up until that command is issued. And technically, it's using TLS, not SSL for mail. If you're using port 465 for mail, then SSL is negotiated *first* and without the STARTTLS command, just like it would be negotiated first with an HTTPS connection.

You have to tell stunnel to use STARTTLS when using ports 25 or 587, which is done with the "-n smtp" flag.

Other considerations are a server based email forwarding that can handle SSL.

Since we can already implement this solution via our own servers, for security reasons I don't see value in Elk Products pursuing this solution. Being tied to a subscription service which provides concentrated targets for hackers and is subject to others' security policies is one factor that disqualified Control4 for me.

I agree on the subscription service factor, but for those of us who purchased the Elk to NOT have a server running all of the time it would be nice to have this feature added to the XEP.

It works fine. I use it with my Elk. SSL doesn't care what is carried through it. You have it backwards, SSL is negotiated first, then once a tunnel is established the protocol running over it is negotiated.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not pertinent to the O.P.'s issues with stunnel anyway.

It appears stunnel supports TLS on port 25 and 587, but it's because they implemented support for it. SSL does not happen on these ports until the STARTTLS command is issued to the server, which is plaintext up until that command is issued. And technically, it's using TLS, not SSL for mail. If you're using port 465 for mail, then SSL is negotiated *first* and without the STARTTLS command, just like it would be negotiated first with an HTTPS connection.

You have to tell stunnel to use STARTTLS when using ports 25 or 587, which is done with the "-n smtp" flag.

Ok, I see what you are saying now. You are right 25/587 operates differently. I use 465 with stunnel with gmail and my hosting provider and it negotiates SSL first.

Ok, I see what you are saying now. You are right 25/587 operates differently. I use 465 with stunnel with gmail and my hosting provider and it negotiates SSL first.

According to the original poster, he is trying to send on port 587. Which means he needs the command line flag that enables STARTTLS. Or, he could change his target port to 465 if his provider supports it.

I just finished configuring my ElkXEP to use DynDNS.com MailHop Outbound. I had to change the default port from 25 to 2525 because I suspect AT&T/Bellsouth is blocking this port. The cost was $19/yr + $2 one-time setup fee. All my PC's use the Power Save/Sleep mode functionality, so they would not be good candidate for STunnel.

if you are running a linksys router with alternate firmware (like dd-wrt, etc), you can easily install stunnel on it.

if you are running a linksys router with alternate firmware (like dd-wrt, etc), you can easily install stunnel on it.

(emphasis added by me)

I've Goggled the heck out of this and nothing makes it look easy to me.

Can you amplify or link to anything that helps me configure my WRT54G to run stunnel? I've seen pretty easy instuctions for flashing to DD-WRT. But then what?

(emphasis added by me)

Can you amplify or link to anything that helps me configure my WRT54G to run stunnel? I've seen pretty easy instuctions for flashing to DD-WRT. But then what?

after installing dd-wrt, telnet or ssh to your router and type 'ipkg install stunnel'

then you need to edit the config file, stunnel.conf, similar to what has been discussed earlier in the thread and reboot your router.

tomato is also a good alternate firmware http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato and installation directions are the same

got it working...apparently the test feature in the XEP config screen will not work. I had to set a rule to test it.

I'm having the same problem. I set up a mail server and I am using gmail as the smtp redirector. Outlook works fine but testing via the test button in the XEP config does not send a message.

Would you mind sharing the test rule you set up?

(emphasis added by me)

after installing dd-wrt, telnet or ssh to your router and type 'ipkg install stunnel'

then you need to edit the config file, stunnel.conf, similar to what has been discussed earlier in the thread and reboot your router.

tomato is also a good alternate firmware http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato and installation directions are the same

Would you mind sharing some tips? I've tried to install stunnel on my DD-WRT router and the download fails at 80%. I have tried with 2 different model routers at 2 separate locations and connections and the same thing happens with both.

got it working...apparently the test feature in the XEP config screen will not work. I had to set a rule to test it.

I'm having the same problem. I set up a mail server and I am using gmail as the smtp redirector. Outlook works fine but testing via the test button in the XEP config does not send a message.

Would you mind sharing the test rule you set up?

(emphasis added by me)

Would you mind sharing some tips? I've tried to install stunnel on my DD-WRT router and the download fails at 80%. I have tried with 2 different model routers at 2 separate locations and connections and the same thing happens with both.

there aren't any tips to share. it's just a command line. maybe you don't have enough space on your device? otherwise i have no idea why it wouldn't work.

Back