Elk M1 voice sound samples

johnnynine

I would like to know what the Elk M1's voice sounds like. Has anyone either recorded or seen and samples on the internet?

I'm also wondering if there is more than one voice to choose from?

Thanks,
Johnny

It sounds fairly mechanical, but unless you have the processing ooomph to generate WAV files on the fly, you may not be able to do better than that, and that would be asking a lot of a low level device like the M1. Of course if you are using a higher level, software based system in conjunction with the M1, you can do some of that work there, where you have the option to use high quality voices (though you'll want to have a quick machine and plenty of memory in order to keep it from interfering with regular automation work that's going on at the same time.) High quality speech engines can be pretty piggy in terms of CPU usage and memory, IMHO, because they have to do a fair amount of analysis and then generate a good quality digital representation of the voice on the fly.

A system like the Elk just has small files that represent single works or phrases, that it puts together as required, but that means they cannot be context or syntax sensitive.

Don't forget you can always load wav files into an ELK-124 or ELK-MV480. You can use any voice you want to make the wav files so it sounds the way you want with no processing horsepower issues.

The Elk voices are actually recorded voices that I think sound pretty good. The vocabulary is currently limited to 500 words but as someone mentioned, you can record a limited number of your own announcements as well.

You can record 10 custom voice messages with a total record time of 1 minute, ie. 10, 6 second blocks, or any combination thereof with a maximum of 60 seconds of record time in the M1. You record through a house telephone.

A 6 second record block will only play the amount of time that is recorded. If you record for 2 seconds, that is how long the message will play. Record for 10 seconds, that is how long the message will play, but will occupy 2 - 6 second recording blocks.

Here is a sample of the voice recorded from my M1G. The mechanical sound does not matter to me, but there is a very loud hum that you can hear as soon as the amplifier turns on. I wonder if this is normal or is just my M1.

Would other M1 owners comment on the sound sample that I posted above?

The nice guys at Elk said that it seemed to be normal background but offered to have the M1 checked. Until now I have only one feedback (thanks Wayne) and would like some more feedback before making the decision to unplug and send.

Thanks.

Mine makes a hum also that I asked about in the chat room. I've been meaning to capture and post a sample as well but you definitely do hear the amp turn on and off and hear it without the voice (as whats described as a hum).

The low level background hum, as it is described, is a combination switching power supply and processor switching noise that is getting into the audio amp through the power supply. It is a issue to be resolved.

God I love the service from Elk!

Someone says "I have a problem"

Elk response "Let's take a look at it",
and a little later "Yep, it's a problem. We're working on it".

unlike another manufacturers response
"It's an installation problem"
or
"It's an isolated problem"
or most likely,
"silence"

Spanky said:
The low level background hum, as it is described, is a combination switching power supply and processor switching noise that is getting into the audio amp through the power supply. It is a issue to be resolved.
Spanky,

The sample that I am including here was taken with the power supply disconnected (using battery only). I made it to prevent any AC/switching noise source. However, in my case it always do the same. Should the noise that you talk about be eliminated if the power supply is disconnected?

Just as feedback, I can hear much less noise than I hear in your sample, but I suspect my volume is lower.....

Back