Elk M1 & W800RF, what a great combo!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I just wanted to let you guys know that I have the Elk M1 working with the W800RF, all my remotes work, as do my DS10A's. I am sure you can think of the MANY benefits!

Input...Johnny Five needs more input :p

What add on boards did this take? Firmware version? What commands/configuration changes. In other words how easy/hard was this to implement?

Since I had to use the serial port expander I was using with my Ocelot, I needed to switch 4 jumpers (really easy). I also did a firmware upgrade to support this new feature. That was it.

The DS10A's were originally not going to be supported since they send out a security ID, not a regular house/unit code, so this would mean that changes would have to be made to the M1 firmware and Elk RP software. Instead of creating more work for them, I suggested that they just send the important data as a string to the M1, so people can trigger rules with a DS10A.

This is working great, I will keep you guys posted.

It should be released soon, they are still doing some testing. If you already have the hardware, I can hook you up, send me an email (electron AT cocoontech dot com).

electron said:
Instead of creating more work for them, I suggested that they just send the important data as a string to the M1, so people can trigger rules with a DS10A.
I'm a bit confused (my normal state!)

So what exactally is "important data" and how hard is it to use DS10's? I know if the batteries die the code will change so expect to have change rules periodically.

My question really is, how hard is it to find out a security code and then set up the rule? Can you post a rule you are using as an example?

Thanks!

These are the screenshots David sent me, they show how to get the DS10A's working. Ill post my own screenshots later.

1) Use the W800RF data decoder tool from WGLdesigns.com to look at the raw output:

2) Create an ASCII string by using the 3rd byte and 1st byte. Example: if your decoder shows 21 DE D2 22, then you would create this ASCII string: D221^M^J

3) Create the rule as shown in the screenshot below:

That's it! Keep in mind that this is only a work around until ELK has the time to make some changes to the RP software to make this easier. But I requested that they added this feature, so people who like tinkering can get started already.

As for the security code changing, I have 8 DS10A's, and none of them have required new batteries yet. Some of my motion sensors are still running on their first set of batteries (over 3 years old), and they see way more activity than the DS10A, so I am not to worried. Also, while switching batteries, the DS10A will not forget the code, it will only forget it if the batteries are totally dead, or have been removed for more than a few minutes. Make it a habit to change them every # of months, and you will never have to worry about this.

I basically triggered all my DS10A's (you need to record both the open/closed state), and simply put all the codes in a text file, so it's easy to reference later (which code belongs to what device, and what state). This was a 5 minute job, including running outside several times (mailbox sensor, etc.).

Hey Spanky,

Any official for support of the W800 yet? I don't see it referenced in the Elk documentation yet. Is everyone using it like electron describes?

Thanks!

I thought I posted these, I must have been too tired, sorry about that.

M1XSP switch settings:

SSSSSSSS
-------------

electron said:
I thought I posted these, I must have been too tired, sorry about that.

M1XSP switch settings:

SSSSSSSS
-------------
Electron,

I believe you did post that in the Marketplace forum back when I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I thought I had the w800 working back then, but apparently I didn't, because I cannot get the w800 to recognize a DS10A or wireless X10 Motion using the procedure you provided above. One thing that strikes me is that I don't have an S4 jumper on my M1XSP. There is a place for it, but no jumper posts are soldered on to it and the documetation has it labeled as "future". Do I need to solder a jumper in this position since it is currently a "0" or is it not really needed? These are fairly recently purchased M1XSPs (purchased from Martin less than 2 months ago). I actually purchased one of them specifically for use with my W800 after I read here that it was supported by the M1.

thanks,

Joe

No need to worry, that jumper isn't there at all, but I pasted the jumper settings as they were given to me by Elk. When you push a button on one of your RF remotes, do you see the X10 codes in your HA software log file? The Elk M1 will relay the code to the powerline, so that would be a good test. Does the XSP have a blinking orange light?

Thanks, that was just what I needed. I didn't realize the M1 repeated the signal. The M1XSP light was blinking when I transmitted the signal, so it was receiving something and the PLC interface was blinking indicating it was repeating it on the power line, but only when using a wireless hawkeye motion sensor I was using for testing, but not when using a DS10A.

I think I had a combination of problems. I initially had a bad cable which I had replaced before posting. Then I was attempting to setup the motion using the same method as the DS10A which you provided above. Apparently hawkeye needs to be setup like a regular x10 device and triggered with its X10 code while the DS10A is configured like you said.

Now the Hawkey motion is working reliably every time I test it. However, the DS10A seems to be more erratic. I have to activate it several times before getting a trigger on the M1 and it appears to be random. I am using a voice announcement for testing. Any ideas there?

thanks for your help!

Joe

I have 100% reliability here, I use the DS10A's to turn on my closet lighting etc. Can you show me a screenshot of the ElkRP rule? Thanks!

Back