ELK M1exp e-mail issue

Hi all
I have just setup my exp and everything is working fine, execpt e-mail. I have tried both ip and dns name changed the mtu setting om my linksys router. All with no joy.

E-mail was the main reason I setup the exp.

Thanks all

Ben

I also recently got an M1G with the ethernet adapter, and also can't get the email to work. There seems to be quite a few folks in the Elk forums having the same problem. I posted a question about it in another thread, and got this response. I had already tried all those things, so I'm still out of luck. There is a response further down saying they are working on an update to fix problems with some providers that require authentication, so I'm holding out to see if that helps. Another response further down suggests deleting the username and password... I haven't tried that. I wouldn't expect Comcast to allow any computer connected to their network to send mail without signing on, but who knows.

Are you sure RP is not connected to the control? That is usually the most 'common' error.

Edit: Also, be sure your ISP doesn't block port 25, or make sure you set the right port in RP.

There is a M1XEP update coming out in a few days that fixes most email issues. The main problem is that some email accounts require authentication. This new M1XEP update has unencrypted email authentication. We have found that Gmail requires SSL authentication and will not be supported in this next update. As always, the software upgrade is FREE.

I don't have an ELK yet but I know how to troubleshoot SMTP issues. Here is what you should do since your ELK is the same network as your computers. You should troubleshoot using IP address first rather than fully qualified domain name(FQDN). This way, we are bypassing DNS service to resolve hostnames.

This should be done on your computer

1. First, find out the IP address of the mail server your trying to utilize
2. Assuming you found the IP address, ping the ip and check if there is a ping response

3. Assuming you get a response, it means that the device/equipment/host is alive

4. If you are using Windows, open up an MSDOS prompt. You can do this by clicking Start then Run then type cmd then press OK button. You should get a black window with a drive letter. That's what you call MSDOS prompt

ping.gif

5. Take a look at an example below wherein the SMTP port 25 is not open. But there could be many reasons why it's not responding.

a.) Either you are connecting to a wrong mail server.
b.) Either your ISP has blocked port 25 from internal subscribers
c.) Either your device/computer is not properly configured with the gateway IP address. This is why it cannot reach the ip address
d.) Either the machine is not a real mail server
e.) Either the machine's SMTP service is down
f.) many more

telnet.gif

Make sure that your ELK's ip address and subnet matches your computer subnet. You can't just assign an ip address to your ELK. It has to be on the same subnet such as private Class C address.

Like mine, my pc is 192.168.1.100/24. 24 means 24 bits and is equal to 255.255.255.0. Also, my network is on a class C range, 192-223. Since your first 3 octets are 192.168.1 since you are using 24 bits, you should assign other devices in your net with 192.168.1.x and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 also. You can replace x there with anything that is available from 1 to 254. And laslty, verify that the gateway that you set on the ELK is the same as the one set on your computer.

I forgot one last thing, make sure you're using a correct network cable. I don't know if ELK ethernet module requires a cross over cable as I haven't read the manual yet. If you need to make one just cross pins 1-3 and 2-6 pins.

I'm interested in your troubleshooting as I will be doing this in the near future. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thanks all.

My smtp server doesn't require a username or password. I have tried both ip and dns name. All other functions of the card work.

Will the update only address autentication?

Spanky said:
As always, the software upgrade is FREE.
Not to let that comment go unnoticed Spanky: Well done! I am sure the other Elk users appreciate that as well...

benjmurray said:
Thanks all.

My smtp server doesn't require a username or password. I have tried both ip and dns name. All other functions of the card work.

Will the update only address autentication?
Are you saying that you can send email via SMTP commands from your telnet session?

benjmurray said:
I was able to log onto the smtp via telnet. I don't know what to do in there, but IK got access.
Cool. That means, port is open. Now, the next thing we need to do is SMTP relaying test. Assuming you're with comcast, their domain name is comcast.net
do this

Set up another telnet session to port 25 then do this, you have to type them. Commands are in BOLD.

HELO comcast.net then press ENTER
MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> then press enter
RCPT TO:<[email protected]> then press enter

DATA then press enter
Type any message then press enter
. This is period and is used to terminate message. Then it will send it.

However, if there is an SMTP issue such as Relaying, you will see the errors right after you type MAIL FROM and RCPT TO. This means that the SMTP server is preventing relay. It will show you right on your screen, Relay access is denied.

I forgot to mention that the ones with white arrows are the ones you should type. I didn't use telnet since I cannot see what I'm typing. I used NetCat and I love this tool very much.

telnet25_in_action.gif

There is a M1XEP update coming out in a few days that fixes most email issues.

This update should help a lot of people!

I had been having e-mail send issues with my login-required ISP, no e-mail sent regardless of what settings I used. As part of my communication with Brad Weeks at Elk, I offered to help debug the issue in any way I could. The fine folks at Elk took me up on the offer and sent a test version of new M1XEP FW several weeks ago. (Spanky, I hope this is okay to talk about) It has been working perfectly, with e-mail being sent daily. If this is how the release code Spanky mentions will work, then it should fix the problem for a lot of people.

Thanks, Elk!

-Rod

rcharris said:
There is a M1XEP update coming out in a few days that fixes most email issues.

This update should help a lot of people!

I had been having e-mail send issues with my login-required ISP, no e-mail sent regardless of what settings I used. As part of my communication with Brad Weeks at Elk, I offered to help debug the issue in any way I could. The fine folks at Elk took me up on the offer and sent a test version of new M1XEP FW several weeks ago. (Spanky, I hope this is okay to talk about) It has been working perfectly, with e-mail being sent daily. If this is how the release code Spanky mentions will work, then it should fix the problem for a lot of people.

Thanks, Elk!

-Rod
I'm interested since I would like to have this kind of feature too. Is it a firmware upload fix?

Back