Elk M1EZ8

markthomas

Wow, I just saw the specs on the new Elk M1EZ8, and it looks like it trumps the Ocelot in price and features. Even as a pure automation controller--never mind the added security stuff.

In fact, it looks a lot like the Elk M1 Gold, except without the voice/phone stuff. Can the voice/phone stuff really be that expensive? the EZ8 seems to be a better deal than the M1 Gold!

In any case, I'm going to seriously consider making the EZ8 my low-budget controller of choice. I do have a few questions though:

1. Can the EZ8 be upgraded with the voice capability via an add-on? Or would you have to "trade up" to the M1 Gold?

2. Does anyone use the Elk-RP PC software? What does it do?

3. Are wireless motion detectors supported?

Thanks!

Let me add another question: has anyone used the M1XEP (TCP/IP interface)?

It looks like it only contains a java applet? Ugh! Is there any way to get information or trigger events via a normal HTTP GET/POST interface?

Mark,
The EZ8 is the little sister to the M1. It has the same processor, but the hardware has been reduced to reduce the cost.

All the same peripherials work on the M1 or EZ8.

There is not an add on to recover the voice that the M1 has, although you can add the MV-480 for some voice capability.

The EZ8 is a powerful security and automation controller.

The M1XEP Ethernet Interface has an embedded webpage (In Java) to control the M1 or EZ8. The M1XEP also passes the ASCII command strings for remote control of the EZ8 and M1. The ELKRP programming software will work through the M1XEP also.

1. Can the EZ8 be upgraded with the voice capability via an add-on? Or would you have to "trade up" to the M1 Gold?
Spanky may have to answer this, but it may be possible to use the MV480 to provide voice perhaps similar to this. Or, you may be able to send text strings out the serial port (or XEP) to a PC based TTS engine.

2. Does anyone use the Elk-RP PC software? What does it do?
Elk RP is the 'Remote Programming' application. You use it to control all aspects of the controller - setup, config, rules, etc. You can download a demo of it here.

3. Are wireless motion detectors supported?
Yes. The M1's support the Caddx receivers like the NX408 or 416E. You can read about that support in the manual.

I use the XEP. The Java applet is only to run the 'Virtual Keypad' which gives a very basic graphic control interface. I believe all control info is available out of the XEP just like the serial port. It all depends on what your use for it is. A big feature is to allow email messages to be sent. If you want a nice interface like a touchscreen interface, you would use something like CQC or Mainlobby. Those apps have nice graphics capabilities and Elk plugins (may only work with M1 - not sure). You could also just use Homeseer with the plug in or Electron's free script. You could also code your own interface but you would have to pull the raw data from the XEP.

Hope this helps...

Edit: Hehe, I type too slow - Spanky beat me.

markthomas said:
Wow, I just saw the specs on the new Elk M1EZ8, and it looks like it trumps the Ocelot in price and features. Even as a pure automation controller--never mind the added security stuff.
I'm still getting to this point in my installation, but from what I have seen, isn't the Ocelet a good complementary product for the Elk? I was expecting to use my M1G for security/automation but link in an Ocelot for IR capabilities (throw computer based software in there as well, but again some details to figure out when I get there for which side is more 'primary').

It seemed to be a common setup around here, and the IR capability makes a hell of a lot of sense if you are looking to use automation functionality.

Spanky, Steve or anyone else involved with/familiar with the M1 product line, do you know if there are any plans to support a wireless network connection for the TCP/IP interface? Or am I misunderstanding what that means and you actually have to plug a computer directly into the controller and not into a router/hub/switch.

I have mine hard wired, Cat5 from XEP to router/hub in office. I believe the XEP supports up to 10 connections. Keep in mind that if you are in RP, the XEP is not accessible during that time and things like email or plugins to 3rd party apps will not work. The 'smarter' plugins will auto-disconnect when RP is active and reconnect when RP is not, otherwise you can have problems with RP. I think most commercial ones you'll be ok.

As far as wireless, you _should_ be able to connect the XEP to an access point and have that connect to your ISP, etc. through your wireless net. I think Martin was going to try that - I just prefer hard wire where possible.

toymaster458 said:
The M1XEP can be pluged into a router/switch/hub providing multiple computers access to the Java UI.
I don't want the Java UI. I want to be able to integrate with the EZ8 from my own programs, preferably via XML-RPC, but I'd take a simple HTTP GET/POST API.

A simple web page can be automated and integrated with; a Java Applet can not.

Spanky wrote:
The M1XEP also passes the ASCII command strings for remote control of the EZ8 and M1.
Where can I get more information on this? Is this simply your serial protocol encapsulated in another protocol like HTTP?

Mike said:
I'm still getting to this point in my installation, but from what I have seen, isn't the Ocelet a good complementary product for the Elk?
There's too much overlap... They both have, at the core, an automation controller. Elk's automation capabilites far surpass the Ocelot. Elk adds a security system; the Ocelot adds IR. But using an Ocelot only for IR seems a waste... for the same price I'd MUCH rather use a Global Cache GC-100 which for about the same price has built-in 3-zone IR and an ethernet port with an embedded web server.

Does Elk have firmware to integrate with any IR product already? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if they add it... they seem to be pretty quick to market with things like that.

Interesting. I know there were posts on how to interface with the ocelot via serial, so I know that works. I haven't seen anything on the Global Cache.

I had meant use the Elk for automation. I had briefly looked at the Global Cache products and liked the ethernet aspect, but I haven't really considered what direction I will go for IR (still a bunch ahead of that).

I've got a 4-zone xantech system setup now (with the option to make that a 9 zone) so the zoned part I can get around I think.

Are you using Global Cache now and are you happy with it? Any ability to write custom software to work with it as well? (I only briefly looked at it)

As far as wireless, you _should_ be able to connect the XEP to an access point and have that connect to your ISP, etc. through your wireless net. I think Martin was going to try that - I just prefer hard wire where possible.

Yes, it should definately work. My plan was to install a wireless bridge in my alarm panel closet and connect that way. I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Since then, there are a lot of other items that I decided to automate and I ended up pulling 6 more cat5s through the crawl space above my second floor to the attic above my garage. Now, with those extra cables, I'll go ahead and hardwire a data connection as well as connecting all of my other new sensors.

Micah said:
Spanky, Steve or anyone else involved with/familiar with the M1 product line, do you know if there are any plans to support a wireless network connection for the TCP/IP interface?  Or am I misunderstanding what that means and you actually have to plug a computer directly into the controller and not into a router/hub/switch.
I can see a big advantage of wireless networking vs. hardwired. I was wondering if it is possible for the access point connected at the Elk side to fall-back into another available access point in case that my DSL telephone line is cutted or DSL is just not working. From my home I get the WiFi signal from at least two neighbors, so using their router in case of emergency (with their permission) would allow the Elk to email me to notify that the telephone line is down.

Back