Elk M1G Firmware/Software updates caused big issues

I too am being notified of conflicts between my database and the M1 after updating the M1's firmware despite what appears to be a good flash of the M1.  Everything is at the latest avail firmware/bootware/RP2.  For the time being, I am just ignoring the messages, but it is frustrating.

Totally unacceptable. We purchased units that ARE capable of/have UL listing, so a workaround that voids this makes it a different unit. I was ready to update to latest everything this coming weekend as I update the M1XEP to allow it to work with Windows 10. Thankfully I saw this. Suppose I must still update the M1XEP (the dinosaur of my system), but am nervous about that.

Madcodger said:
Totally unacceptable. We purchased units that ARE capable of/have UL listing, so a workaround that voids this makes it a different unit. I was ready to update to latest everything this coming weekend as I update the M1XEP to allow it to work with Windows 10. Thankfully I saw this. Suppose I must still update the M1XEP (the dinosaur of my system), but am nervous about that.
It's a moot point anyways and you're placing too much value on the system option/radio box and what it really means and does.

The panel hardware and firmware (assuming you ARE using the listed FW) are UL listed for their purpose, however in the world of UL, burglar alarms and the like, unless you have a UL certificated system, the UL listing and installation are void. Keep in mind, you would need to follow ALL the UL standards for the programming options (bell times, response times, etc.) and don't use a speaker on the M1 (not UL listed for that) and follow all the UL maximum allowances for the aux power calcs and battery standby, not to mention down to which knockouts, enclosures and tampers are installed on the enclosure with supervision on the siren(s), you're not going to be close to UL. All UL really does in the way of an alarm installation, besides verify 100% coverage (based on the UL extent shown) is provide conservative system design values. Once the installer varied from ANY of those considerations, UL doesn't matter anymore.

All the value/option does in this case is provide jam reporting to the CS. It does NOT change the functionality of the system and it's wireless operation. RF jam is usually a log event only on the templating portion of monitoring with a courtesy notification and NOT an alarm.

In my world as a pro, the UL listing also means nothing, as the installation is not certificated, however it is prudent to use the last LISTED firmware for any panel as a strict matter of CYA.

Fair points. I still think Elk continues to perpetuate the weak point of their system with the M1XEP. It's a dinosaur that needs to be replaced.

CORT said:
It would be nice to see an updated M1 board with integral ethernet connection.  Plug any play of course.

Until then, Elk has a downloadable special updater utility for the XEP that works with Windows 10 and updates the XEP to 2.0.34.
I don't think that's a wise choice given the M1's modular architecture.....it's forcing a $150 (retail) cost to the end users to pick up on top of what is already an expensive panel ($150 will get me a entire Vista 20P kit with keypad, battery and a lot of other hardware). Part of the beauty of the M1 is the panel is scalable compared to HAI's platform, with 2 tiers. The other part is from a service standpoint, it's a TON easier to replace a bad XEP than the entire M1 when the NIC goes or develops issues.

I'd rather they update the main board, add a couple of modules to the options (addressable fire would come to mind) of course, Elk would need to provide a legacy solution for the existing platform, as that is part of the attraction to the M1.....the M1, M1G and EZ8 all support essentially the same hardware. On a legacy install (hell, the M1 is only 10 years old, compared to a Vista or DSC platform) the end user isn't going to see the value in replacing major components on an already expensive (relative term) platform.

Back