Elk M1G with C1M1 and DIY setup today

Linwood

So lacking a better alternative, am thinking of getting another M1G system for my new home.  Mostly this is so I can have monitored smokes, though I'll probably set up intrusion at least on the entry doors so I know if I have left them open (a risk on nice days in Florida). 

Having done it before I understand most things, but two components post-date my install.

The C1M1: I'm planning a DIY setup, and will likely get Alarm Relay to monitor.  I see the configuration tool is not available to DIY'ers, at least it was not as of a couple years ago and I do not see it on the download site. Will Elk provide it if asked, or is it necessary for me to hire someone to configure it (that would be real annoying).  Also, my understanding is it doesn't provide NTP (time sync) nor email notifications, is that correct?  Are there alternatives for these? 

Because this house is already constructed, if I want to do windows it may be the path of least resistance to do wireless.  They now have a 2-way wireless. Any experiences, does it work well? 

Ok, maybe a third question: From whom, today, would you buy? 

Linwood

Wireless seems to work fine.  Of course the initial hardware cost is higher than hardwired and you will eventually have to replace batteries (although they last for years - I haven't had to replace mine yet).  So in a perfect world, wired is certainly better, but the use of wireless is fine and regularly done.

2 way wireless works well for me and I think for most. How big is the house - square feet, footprint and number of stories? If coverage is a potential issue you can run 2 or more transceivers to different locations. There is a test function where you can trigger the sensors and the Elk will speak a number like 1 to 9 or something that represents signal strength.

I suspect you’re right about the C1M1. I use cellular with Alarm Relay. Here I would never want to do IP monitoring and can’t really envision a situation where I would with residential internet reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I asked Elk themselves about the C1M1, specifically asking about DIY and that device.  Their response (Brad Weeks): 

The ELK C1M1 Dual Path Communication is an ELK designed and engineered product but the cellular backbone for the communicator is provided by Telguard which also is responsible for the billing for their cellular service. In order to have a Telguard Account you must be a licensed in your State OR you must have a Central Station that can assist with the setup of the C1M1. The Watchlight Corporation www.watchlight.com offers monitoring to the DIY / Self-Installer and can assist with the C1M1.

Wanting to be very clear I asked "But can the Ethernet side be configured and used without the cellular by a DIY installer?", as I might want to start slowly and not pay for monitoring until I had things well configured and running, and their response was: 

To activate the C1M1 it Must be registered with Telguard. If no planning on using the cellular or if not planning on having your system monitored then I’d suggest using the ELK M1XEP.

So it seems that the ethernet aspects are disabled until you arrange for a pro and/or monitoring.  Which, if I'm thinking of this right, then Elkrp won't even work to program until you sign up with a monitoring company (if you are a DIY).

Really?  At least they still sell the M1XEP. 

I don't have experience with the C1M1, but I too am planning to use one on my own house. I do have an account for cellular access, but not monitoring as we only use it for connectivity where internet isn't available. Unfortunately you'd have to purchase the C1M1 to find out if it works, but I'm sure we can set you up with the access.

Had another unpleasant surprise today.  I remember in the past getting something like $150 off insurance, but asked and now it's down to $52.  Not really a deal killer but as I add up the rather large cost for the M1G plus $20/mo monitoring (+/-)... I keep wondering why I'm bothering.

I'm a consultant who inherited an Elk M1 system that is installed at a clients house.  The client has asked me to change some of the custom voice messages.  They had a bad experience with the company that put the system in, so I'm looking for options.  The R P program seems pretty straight forward to make this change, but I don't see how a DIY can get it?  Can anyone provide a link to get the software?  Thanks, Jim

Elkrp is downloadable by the homeowner, and can change the voice messages easily.  It's the simple tool for maintaining the M1G.

scs said:
I'm a consultant who inherited an Elk M1 system that is installed at a clients house.  The client has asked me to change some of the custom voice messages.  They had a bad experience with the company that put the system in, so I'm looking for options.  The R P program seems pretty straight forward to make this change, but I don't see how a DIY can get it?  Can anyone provide a link to get the software?  Thanks, Jim
You or your client can register on the Elk web site as an owner or an installer.  Once your registration is approved by Elk, you can download the RP2 software from here.

Note that you will need the installer code in order to change the programming of the panel   If you're lucky, the original company didn't change it from the default, or they provided the owner with whatever they changed it to.

Linwood said:
Are you speaking in general or do you use the new M1G two way wireless? 
Sorry, I was thinking the discussion was about wireless sensors, not a wireless communication solution.  Although I will say that clearly wireless communications work in general.  As long as you can set it up as a DIYer, I would have no problems going to a wireless communicator.  

sic0048 said:
Sorry, I was thinking the discussion was about wireless sensors, not a wireless communication solution.  Although I will say that clearly wireless communications work in general.  As long as you can set it up as a DIYer, I would have no problems going to a wireless communicator.  

Yes, that question was about sensors, one way vs two way wireless; Elk is the only one I've seen (of this ilk) with two way.  Others, like zwave of course are also, but the "classic" ones that work with traditional panels are mostly one way I think.

i tried a few times to register with Elk to download the RP2 software, but I suspect the virus panic has them short staffed.  Is there any other location it can be downloaded from?  Or as an alternative, has anyone seen a script that can be used thru the serial port to bulk update units?  I'm thinking a powershell script that connects, sends the serial number and RP code, than runs a few commands to change the voice prompts.  Thanks!

scs said:
i tried a few times to register with Elk to download the RP2 software, but I suspect the virus panic has them short staffed.  Is there any other location it can be downloaded from?  Or as an alternative, has anyone seen a script that can be used thru the serial port to bulk update units?  I'm thinking a powershell script that connects, sends the serial number and RP code, than runs a few commands to change the voice prompts.  Thanks!

I'd wait for them to approve it.  I'm sure you could find the software somewhere else but it could also be hacked or malware added.

Back