Elk M1XEP Email Issues

ultrajones

I purchased the Elk M1XEP in order to send email notifications for certain events that occur within my home. I have found that it is not a reliable means of sending notifications. There is not queueing, retry or logging mechanism so if the email fails (for whatever reason), you'll never know it.

Examples of when an email won't be sent:
- SMTP server fails to resolve due to DNS time-out.
- DNS returns an NXDOMAIN (no such name) when trying to resolve the smtp server FQDN.
- SMTP server connection times out.
- SMTP server returns a 4.x error (temp fail).
- SMTP server returns a 5.x error (perm fail).

Does anyone know if there are plans to improve the robustness of the email sent from the Elk M1XEP ethernet interface?

Regards,
Ultrajones

I purchased the Elk M1XEP in order to send email notifications for certain events that occur within my home. I have found that it is not a reliable means of sending notifications. There is not queueing, retry or logging mechanism so if the email fails (for whatever reason), you'll never know it.

Examples of when an email won't be sent:
- SMTP server fails to resolve due to DNS time-out.
- DNS returns an NXDOMAIN (no such name) when trying to resolve the smtp server FQDN.
- SMTP server connection times out.
- SMTP server returns a 4.x error (temp fail).
- SMTP server returns a 5.x error (perm fail).

Does anyone know if there are plans to improve the robustness of the email sent from the Elk M1XEP ethernet interface?

Regards,
Ultrajones

Improvements are always ongoing. If you have specific requests, contact ELK Technical services at [email protected].

The M1XEP uses a canned operating system that sometimes does not support all email features. I am not sure if it supports the requested list above.

We have found some email providers work better than others. Service providers with email authentication can sometimes be a problem. An email provider without authentication seems to work better.

The email system is a notification convenience, rather than an absolute alarm notification with a kissoff feedback like going to a central monitoring company. Calling your cell phone with a message would try multiple times if no answer if you are not wanting to go through a central monitoring company.

Back