Elk M1XEP Internet Connection

Sorry for the confusion.
I have done port forwarding but in Chris_RM he says to avoid cox blocking port 80 to use another port say 2110 and to forward that port to port 80 in the router so that the elk can see port 80. I am not sure how to forward port 2110 to port 80 in the router.
Hope I am clearer.
Thanks.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have finally attempted to view my elk system from work. To make a long story short, my ISP blocks port 80 (which from what I am reading is very common now for many ISPs). My router, the linksys WRT54G, and what I believe to be a very popular/common model, does not allow you to forward an "outside" port to a different "inside" port.

Therfore, I have no way to access the elk from outside of my lan because the M1XEP does not allow you to change what port it operates on (from what I can see).

This is a plea to Elk to please allow this to be changed. The current setup really kills functionality.

Are there only a few of us with this problem? I don't want to buy a new router for this, but it looks like I may have to. Maybe one of the "alternative" firmwares allow this.

Sorry for the confusion.
I have done port forwarding but in Chris_RM he says to avoid cox blocking port 80 to use another port say 2110 and to forward that port to port 80 in the router so that the elk can see port 80. I am not sure how to forward port 2110 to port 80 in the router.
Hope I am clearer.
Thanks.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have finally attempted to view my elk system from work. To make a long story short, my ISP blocks port 80 (which from what I am reading is very common now for many ISPs). My router, the linksys WRT54G, and what I believe to be a very popular/common model, does not allow you to forward an "outside" port to a different "inside" port.

Therfore, I have no way to access the elk from outside of my lan because the M1XEP does not allow you to change what port it operates on (from what I can see).

This is a plea to Elk to please allow this to be changed. The current setup really kills functionality.

Are there only a few of us with this problem? I don't want to buy a new router for this, but it looks like I may have to. Maybe one of the "alternative" firmwares allow this.

What makes you think that you can't do port forwarding (port redirection) with the 54G? Granted, you need to flash a different firmware on it, but lots of people do it...personally, I use Thibor HyperWRT.

Anybody have any ideas?? It seems like maybe something is wrong when java tries to load - I never see any sign of java loading!!

Thanks
Bill

Make sure you have a the gateway address configured properly (i.e. 192.168.1.1). The Ethernet expander will not accept incoming invites externally unless the gateway is set correctly.

-=*Sharby*=-

Sorry for the confusion.
Hope I am clearer.
Thanks.

What makes you think that you can't do port forwarding (port redirection) with the 54G? Granted, you need to flash a different firmware on it, but lots of people do it...personally, I use Thibor HyperWRT.

Eufreka....I changed to the firmware you suggested and am now able to redirect and outside port to port 80 on the Elk. Thanks for the firmware recommendation.

I am now having the same problem as Torgrimj in post 9 above. When I enter the address I get a popup requesting the name and password (that I have configured in ElkRP). I enter that and it loads the java with the screen "Please Wait... Establishing Secure Connection". A few seconds later a dialog box pops up that says "cannot Connect. Another device may be connected already."

It works without problem inside the LAN and I have made sure their is nothing else connected to the Elk.

Any ideas on this one?

Sorry for the confusion.
Hope I am clearer.
Thanks.

Eufreka....I changed to the firmware you suggested and am now able to redirect and outside port to port 80 on the Elk. Thanks for the firmware recommendation.

I am now having the same problem as Torgrimj in post 9 above. When I enter the address I get a popup requesting the name and password (that I have configured in ElkRP). I enter that and it loads the java with the screen "Please Wait... Establishing Secure Connection". A few seconds later a dialog box pops up that says "cannot Connect. Another device may be connected already."

It works without problem inside the LAN and I have made sure their is nothing else connected to the Elk.

Any ideas on this one?

Do you have the other ports forwarded? Once you establish the Java connection, communication switches over to port 26 then 2601. So you will need to forward those as well.

Opening an old thread...

Has anyone know how to fix this? I am unable to get to the web based Elk Java screen from outside the network. It will connect from the LAN, but outside I get to the screen where you can enter the access code and it comes up with the Unable to connect, another device is already connected. Nothing is connected that I know of.

I am port redirecting to 80 from 81 outside, ports 26, 2601 are forwarded. I have tested my forwarded ports using Shields Up web site and it says they are open.

Thanks

Off topic, but... I have been struggling with my networked DVR and accessing it over the internet since last November. I read this post, and the light went on over my head. I set my router to forward from a port other than 80 to port 80 on the DVR, and it works! All this time fighting with it because my ISP blocks port 80. $^#^#$!

Thanks for the tangential help! <_<

Matt

We now return you to the previously scheduled thread, already in progress.

I'm having the same problems. I can't get to port 80 from an outside browser (works fine on my LAN, though). ElkDroid won't connect to 2601 from outside anymore.

It all worked a few days ago, then stopped working with no changes being made to anything.

Comcast says they are not blocking any of the ports.

Router is port forwarded appropriately.

No firewalls exist.

Router logs the incoming traffic to 2601 etc, but I am still getting nothing. Help!

Back