Elk M1XEP Update for Windows 10 Fails

I meticulously followed the instructions to update the bootware, then firmware on my M1XEP so that it is compatible with Win10.  I used a Win7 PC to do this from the ELKRP.
    http://www.elkproducts.com/m1xep-version2-firmware

Now, when the ELKRP cannot connect to the ELK and I get an error "System rejected the Remote Program Access Code".  And of course, all other ethernet links to the ELK are broken.

Is there a fix for this?  There is nothing in the above instructions about changing the RP Access Code.

this is a shot in the dark, but your question intrigued me because I am about ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade.  

Did you try the default access code of 246801 (though it looks like you may need to be connected--Catch 22--to RP to make it work):  http://m1dealer.elkproducts.com/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS%5B%5D=780 

You may be able to use it to create a new default account using it and your M1 serial number and then upload all the settings from the M1.

Good luck.

TurboSam said:
Did you try the default access code of 246801
That is the code on my ELKRP account which worked fine prior to the upgrade.   The M1XEP finder can find the IP address, & my port is set according to directions. I think something in the firmware is restricting access.

TurboSam said:
And you tried running ElkRP as administrator?
How do I do that?  All these years I thought I WAS the administrator.  There is really only one account that was set up for the house. If it would help, here are the settings in my ELKRP account. 
https://flic.kr/p/BSUvPv

These are unchanged from earlier yesterday when I could log on.  I downloaded the bootware & firmware Win10 updates for the XEP. After they seem to run successfully, I would get the error message pop-up and can no longer log into the system.  Plus it broke the link to my ISY home controller.  If there is an administrator account, how do I access that?

Find ElkRP in the program list in your start menu, or find the ElkRP2.exe file on your C: drive in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, right click on either one, and then highlight "Run as Administrator" and left click (or hit enter)....

TurboSam said:
Find ElkRP.exe file ... "Run as Administrator" and left click (or hit enter)....
OK was able to do that, but have the same result: rejected access code.

I did not see anything in the update notes that suggests a new access code is required.

Since I don't know what you have tried, it is hard to know what else to offer, and as I said, I've never been in your shoes but now very hesitant to try the whole upgrade process.

So just random things I would try (and apologies if you have already tried them):  I noticed in some other threads you have have an ISY, have you tried taking that out of the equation?  Tried an Elk M1 reboot followed by an M1XEP reboot (and then waited 10 minutes)?  Tried creating a new user account in RP and then logging in with that account?  

Lastly, and this is not something I would advocate for you until you check with either Elk or someone with more knowledge than I have, but did you see this thread - especially Spanky's post (#2).  It sounds like that would default the RP code to what you think it is, but I have no idea what other havoc it might wreck, so please proceed with EXTREME caution.  That thread is almost ten years old and things could have changed (possibly significantly) since then....

EDIT:

And after initially posting the above, I found another thread that suggests proceeding carefully (and seems at odds with the thread referenced above).

I was able to contact ELK Tech support. One Tech commented that because I was a home owner (& not a professional installer/distributor) they were not supposed to be helping me.  But they did! Total phone time was probably less than 15 minutes.

After some discussions and system reboots and calling back to Tech Support, we were headed in the direction of opening an RMA to send my XEP plus $75 back to North Carolina for servicing.  At a last ditch thought, I mentioned I had an older version of the ELKRP (2.0.12) and it was suggested I update that and see if that made a difference.

AND IT DID!  The ELKRP (ver 2.0.24) connected to the ELK and restored my pathway through the XEP. I cancelled the RMA!

However, I'm not out of the woods yet.  While the ISY recognizes the ELK connection, it is not communicating with it.  The zones show up but none of the statuses are known.  Nor will the ELK recognize commands sent from the ISY.  So I wonder if I need a different Access Code on the ISY configuration?  Any suggestions?

EDIT: Not doing anything else... the ISY/ELK communication suddenly started working.  So it appears the issue with the update IS RESOLVED.

Glad you got it working--though I was curious as to what would happen if you tried the suggestion Spank made in the thread I mentioned above.  

As for the ISY, I'm no help because I don't have one.  

I did see a number of older posts/threads relating to the ISY and Elk (including one that was, I think, from you), so I suggest you look around here and do some advanced searches....

Issue RESOLVED:  Apparently if you want to upgrade your M1XEP software to work with Win10, be sure your ELKRP software version is the latest.  Their website doesn't state this, but my network communication was lost until I downloaded and updated the ELKRP to ver 2.0.24.

EDIT: I used a Win7 PC to do all this before upgrading my PC to Win10.

Back