Elk one uses for HA?

jwilson56

Ok.... besides using the Elk for security I am looking for ideas as to what people are using theirs for to do home automation.

John

I'm not in front of my home PC right now, but IIRC:
1) Turn on based on closet door opening, or motion. Turn off lights based on doors closing, no motion for <x> mins. That's hugely deployed.
2) Turn off tons of stuff (stereo/HVAC/lighting/etc) if I arm the system to ArmedAway (i do via CQC, but that's irrelevant)

god, i'm drawing a blank now, but those are the ones I notice the most.

Ok.... besides using the Elk for security I am looking for ideas as to what people are using theirs for to do home automation.

John
Hi,

These are some of the current rules I have:
  • If the garage door is open at sunset then make a voice announcement
  • If the bedroom balcony door is open at sunset then make a voice announcement
  • When the alarm is armed "away" turn off all of the lights
  • When the alarm is disarmed from "away" and it dark then turn on the light in the entrance foyer
  • Turn chime mode on/off in the morning and the evening (This alerts us if the 5 year old opens the front door)
  • If the garage doors are closed and the alarm is disarmed and the garage PIR senses movement then open a garage door (My wife got stuck in the garage once, there is no direct entrance to the house and she didn't know how to release the emergency door release)
  • Displays a message on the keypad on garbage night to remind me to put the bins out
Paul

I hope your garage is sealed, I have had mice trip my motion sensor, I am not sure how comfortable I would be with automating that part. I think I would rather install a hidden button.

I hope your garage is sealed, I have had mice trip my motion sensor, I am not sure how comfortable I would be with automating that part. I think I would rather install a hidden button.
My PIRs are dual-technology pet-immune and don't detect my cats. If the garage is opened when I am at home then I will get a voice alert if the door is still open after 5 and 10 minutes. If the system is armed then the garage PIR simply sounds the alarm, it does not release the door.

Now that you mention it I suppose I could add a voice alert when the "garage escape" rule is triggered.

Paul

Without getting into all the specific 'rules', the Elk does all of my core automation in addition to security. So, whatever can be done in the Elk with sensors, relays, etc are. So, I have all my lighting (including things like outlets and appliances - anything UPB), irrigation, hvac (when I get new stat), etc. The garage is included because it is sensor/contact based. The only things left to CQC at this time are things like TTS, the Nuvo, etc. I think there is another thread around that has some really cool specific ideas. Also, there are some neat things on the Elk application notes..

Bumping this thread. I have my Elk hooked up now and I am looking for new ideas to add...

Keep em coming

I think you can learn a lot from looking at other peoples rules. The Elk will let you print your rules to a PDF... maybe we should share these to provide ideas to others. With the security nature of the Elk, some may not want to share all their rules, but I don't think I'd have a problem with it?

Maybe a new thread could be created for this purpose???

Actually that is a great idea. Maybe Dan could make that thread 'sticky' so it stays on top for people to find.

John

Actually that is a great idea. Maybe Dan could make that thread 'sticky' so it stays on top for people to find.

John

John
fwiw, i think this is an outstanding idea. i am trying to write rules right now and tripping over myself learning syntax. if i could see examples of how people have written what i am looking to do, it would be a huge time savings.

I would like some homeautomation ideas for the Elk outputs seeing as I have them to use. In fact lets develop a list of all inputs (analog and digital) and outputs. Right now I have my wireless sensors all working great with no glitches for 3 months now. I am looking to expand the Elk use now.

I would like some homeautomation ideas for the Elk outputs seeing as I have them to use. In fact lets develop a list of all inputs (analog and digital) and outputs. Right now I have my wireless sensors all working great with no glitches for 3 months now. I am looking to expand the Elk use now.

Well, each and everything can controlled by an ELK-system: Fans, heating & cooling, lights (via X10 or other systems), the waterheater, your irrigation system (sticked to the time "Sunrise"! or SS), alerting you with an email for any irregularity ... endless uses. Look to the pages of http://www.elkproducts.com. There are a lot of programming example to controll blinds, announcing traffic in the driveway and and ...

Of course there are limits: your phantasy, your purse, your time :)

Well I have been doing HA for years now.. so most of that is what I consider low hanging fruit...

I know that the best of the best read this forum... so was looking for those unique ideas for using inputs and outputs...

But thanks for the reply

Back