Elk or ISY for rules?

PlanoMike

I have an Elk and have added an ISY. Should rules/programs that control Insteon devices based on events triggered by sensors wired to the Elk reside on the Elk or the ISY?

TIA.

Mike

It's really a matter of preference, the Elk has more space limitations. The Elk has a more logical rule engine, but the ISY's is more powerful (IMHO). Assuming you have the Elk module on the ISY, you should be able to do anything on the ISY that you can on the Elk, but not vice versa.

I moved all lighting rules to the ISY and actually don't even bother updating my light info on the Elk anymore. And other than having to figure out the quirks of the ISY rule engine and creating multiple rules where on the Elk there was one, I haven't had any issues.

Thanks! I have had my rules on the Elk (with a directlly attached power line controller) for a number of years but have recently acquired an ISY. I have played with the ISY and am getting up the learning curve. But to use the ISY for managing my links it appears I have to abandon the controller on the Elk and have the Elk use the ISY as an Insteon bridge.

Are response times any different one way or the other?

The response times aren't noticeably different, but you will definitely reduce complexity allowing ISY to be your central lighting controller and have the Elk use that. If you don't you will have a mess with stuff not staying in sync. You really can't have two PLM/PLC's on the same insteon network practically because a scene on one is not the same scene on the other. Plus you'll free up a M1XSP if you get rid of the PLC on the Elk.

Back