ELK RP Can't connect

ebr102

After installing the RP software, and the firmware upgrades, I did an initial connection to my ELM M1 Gold via serial port. During this connection I updated the firmware on the main board.
When I tried to reconnect I was unable to. The status light was blinking as it should, I re-enrolled all the keypads.

The message is "Disconnected: System rejected Remote Programming Access Code".

I suspect the problem is, I didn't enter a code at initial connection.
The published default code does not work. The master user code does not work. The installer code does not work.

Any ideas? Tech support wants to RMA my board for a reset. Can I do it myself?

Thanks,
E

Go into installer programming and goto Globals 07, menu 45, enter 99 to reinitialize the EEProm to factory defaults.

RP code should be defaulted.

If you can not get into installer programming mode, then you have a problem!

(I might be misunderstanding this but...) This also might be an ElkRP related setting you can check. I found after upgrading to the latest version that I had a similar issue. I noticed on the first page (Account Details) the RP Access Code was not the default code (or I had changed it and forgotten I had done so, which is possible).

You might just want to check that value. I wound up with something other than the default. Check the value on that page. I updated mine and it worked.

This probably is not it since you called it in, but in case this helps.

Go into installer programming and goto Globals 07, menu 45, enter 99 to reinitialize the EEProm to factory defaults.

RP code should be defaulted.

If you can not get into installer programming mode, then you have a problem!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have this exact problem now. I haven't needed to access my system for programming in almost a year. I just bought a HAI thermostat and M1XSP to install. When I try to connect using the same account I've always used in Elk-RP I get the "Disconnected: System rejected Remote Programming Access Code" message. There is a value other than the default in the field, but neither that code nor the default works. The only thing that may be considered different is that I usually connect through the house telephone lines, but this time I ran a serial cable across the house in order to do firmware upgrades.

I did this eeprom reset and entered the default code (at least the installer code works!), but I still get the message (except now even my old programming is gone!). I tried the phone line connection again just to be sure, but now that's only a busy signal.

Help!

Ad

You will have to call ELK Technical Monday if you have lost the ELKRP code.

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid of that. The strange thing is, I don't think I did lose the code. I've gone through system backups looking at the RP code in backed up versions of the database all the way back to March and the RP code is always the same. My panel just hates me all the sudden.

Ad

Another update to my saga. I re-enabled telephone remote control through the keypad and was able to connect through the house telephone lines and re-upload all my programming. So the panel only gives me the access code rejection over the serial connection. At least I'm back to my original programming; just no firmware updates for me.

The only other thing I did that I haven't mentioned is that I bought an Elk-USB232 since I only have one computer with a serial port and it lives about 50 feet away from the panel (wife hates the cable running through the house for some reason). I tried connecting to the panel using that on my laptop right before this all started, but it never connected, it hangs on "detecting serial port settings" for a few minutes and then says something about not being able to determine the baud rate and gives up (it doesn't get as far as the access code rejection I get with the "real" serial port). Is it possible to have somehow damaged the serial port?

I haven't installed the M1XSP yet; can it somehow be used to replace the original serial port for programming?

Ad

I have the same error now. My system is only 3 days old and I was looking forward to getting it to work through elk-rp

I get the following error when I connect my laptop to the Elk M1 Gold (just
recieved the unit on friday) - "System Rejected the remote programming
access code"

I am connecting using the USB-Serial cable. I have tried the following
1. Using different laptops
2. Removing the keypad and wireless device
3. Defaulting the keypad

I have double checked the installers code, the default rpcode but I am still
getting the same error.

I am hoping its the cable but I am not so sure. Another question I have is, does ELK RM have the full feature set of ELK RP or would I need both?

Please help
Max

RM .NE. RP

RP is for installers; used to program the M1.
RM is for users; for operating the M1.

Woohoo...my newbie error..

I didnt have the drivers installed for the serial usb cable...whew..
its communicating fine now..so glad..

Have been struggeling getting the PC connected to the controller through direct connection. Have the RS232/USB Driver CD but does not cover WIN7. How do I get a driver for WIN7?

Have been struggeling getting the PC connected to the controller through direct connection. Have the RS232/USB Driver CD but does not cover WIN7. How do I get a driver for WIN7?

Solved! I was lucky that VISTA was smart enough to find the driver and assigned the USB to COM4 while the setup was defaulting on COM3.

Back