Elk Telephone Control & wiring

stacyh3

I have 2 telephone lines and want to use line 2 for the Elk and the occasional fax. Should I still use the RJ31X? If so, how should I wire it to use line 2? If not, how do I wire the Elk to line 2 without it?

Thanks,
Stacy

I think the use of an RJ31X jack is a good idea. If the ELK panel malfunctions, not likely, you can pull the plug and still have working telephones. The ELK panel only accepts one phone line, so, treat line two like it was your only phone line. If you don't want to use the RJ31X just put your incoming line to the ring and tip on the ELK and use R1 and T1 for your house phones. See page seven of the M1 installation manual.

If you are going to have the M1 monitored via the phone line then you should absolutely use the RJ31x as that's the only way to isolate the M1 from the phones in the house to insure the control can dial out succesfully.

If you are going to have the M1 monitored via the phone line then you should absolutely use the RJ31x as that's the only way to isolate the M1 from the phones in the house to insure the control can dial out succesfully.

Steve, are you sure? Isn't it the M1 that seizes the line by isolating the incoming phone line (R & T) and cutting off the house phones (R1 &T1)? That is done by the M1 with our without the RJ31X. I thought the history of the RJ31X was back in the old days when the Central Station was at the police station and there was a problem, the homeowner could disconnect the RJ31X jack and determine if the problem was in the phone line or the panel. I could be mistaken.

Actually you are probably right, the M1 should do that with or without the 31x. It's just such standard practice and does offer the ability to disconnect for troubleshooting, etc. that there really is no good reason not to use it.

I agree that there is no reason not to use it. And if Stacy doesn't want to wire one separately, there are some punch down telephone blocks that have an RJ31X built in.

In fact, I have a ChannelVision C-0436 that I use for telephone distribution. It's all RJ45s with a built in RJ31X. What I need to know is how to make my setup work over line 2. If I wire in the RJ31X - either the elk one or the CV one, how do I make the system seize line 2?

Thanks,
Stacy

The M1 is going to seize the line that you attach to the R & T terminals (it doesn't know line one from line two). The output of R1 & T1 (this goes to your house telephones) will be interrupted while the M1 is communicating with the Central Station. When you throw the built in RJ31X switch on the telephone distribution it is taking the M1 out of the loop by shorting the wires from R to R1 and T to T1.

I would just use the CV blocks 31x as long as its hooked up anyway. I use the CV DSL filter with the 31x and it works great. As stated, just hook your line 2 to the M1 instead of line 1.

Back