ELk Weigand Reader - extending length to keypad

sunknee

I have an ELK Slim keypad (ELK-M1KP2) and the ELK UltraProx Weigand Reader (ELK-106055) for proximity cards. I see that the maximum wire distance between these two units is ten feet. I would like to put the reader outdoors at the side garage door (non overhead) and keep the keypad behind the laundry room/mudroom door that is about 30 feet away (you walk through the garage to get to it). I can't even put another keypad in the garage to get closer to the Ultraprox reader since our temperature in the winter is below freezing. I have a speaker above the door to announce what is going on (i.e armed, disarmed, etc..) so the feedback on what is going on when you use a keyfob is okay. By the time I run the wire up to the ceiling and down to the outside the distance will be more like 40-50 feet. I know that I can put the UltraProx Reader just outside the laundry/mudroom door but I want to place it outside so that I can be disarmed and armed from the outside.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can probably work over the distance, but the lightning protection is limited on the prox connector. Use CAT5 cable.

I have an ELK Slim keypad (ELK-M1KP2) and the ELK UltraProx Weigand Reader (ELK-106055) for proximity cards. I see that the maximum wire distance between these two units is ten feet. I would like to put the reader outdoors at the side garage door (non overhead) and keep the keypad behind the laundry room/mudroom door that is about 30 feet away (you walk through the garage to get to it). I can't even put another keypad in the garage to get closer to the Ultraprox reader since our temperature in the winter is below freezing. I have a speaker above the door to announce what is going on (i.e armed, disarmed, etc..) so the feedback on what is going on when you use a keyfob is okay. By the time I run the wire up to the ceiling and down to the outside the distance will be more like 40-50 feet. I know that I can put the UltraProx Reader just outside the laundry/mudroom door but I want to place it outside so that I can be disarmed and armed from the outside.

Thanks, will give it a try this weekend and report back.

You can probably work over the distance, but the lightning protection is limited on the prox connector. Use CAT5 cable.

The total length came to about 75 feet (was not a straight run). I used CAT5 and the same wiring as the data hub. It worked perfectly. Thanks.

The total length came to about 75 feet (was not a straight run). I used CAT5 and the same wiring as the data hub. It worked perfectly. Thanks.

Thanks for the report back. I will be doing something similar to your installation, and was curious about the run length too.

Back