Elk Wireless Motion - Options to notify?

theedudenator

I mounted some sensors on the outside of my house in key places.

They will currently chime a keypad when motion is set.

Are there other options aside from a chime?  How else can I use these to notify?

And I would really only want it to chime at night.
Maybe chime only if alarm is set to "arm stay"

The elk 6030 wireless motion goes to sleep for a short period immediately after detecting motion in order to lengthen battery life so it is not a good choice for turning lights on on and off or chores like that. It is designed for use as a security alarm detector.

Mike.

What purpose is the notification going to serve?

Also, what motion detector are you using? I took your title to mean that you are using some wireless motion detection device (could be an Elk device, or Honeywell, or GE) with an Elk system.

There is quite a bit of flexibility with the Elk rules to do exactly what you want (although some if may depend on what other hardware you have--speakers, controllable lighting, etc), .  

You could set up a rule so that whenever the outside motion sensor zone is triggered "and" (in Elk code) the system is Armed Stay "and" it is Dark, the Elk lady will speak (e.g. "Outside Alert") or lights can flash or be turned on or relays can get triggered.

They are honeywell wireless motion sensors.
They are outside the house where no one should ever be (back yard, back porch etc..

I don't have any elk speakers, I have an EZ8 panel.  Can I add sound to this?
I think the siren is too load to use as a signal

I am not personally familiar with the EZ8, but the manual suggests speakers can be added to Output 2 (for "non-UL installations") assuming you don't have a siren or bell on that output.

theedudenator said:
They are honeywell wireless motion sensors.
They are outside the house where no one should ever be (back yard, back porch etc..

I don't have any elk speakers, I have an EZ8 panel.  Can I add sound to this?
I think the siren is too load to use as a signal

The EZ8 doesn't have an Output 1, or built-in voice capability, like the M1G has.  But you could add a speaker attached to an Elk 120 or 124 board and trigger it via one or more of the switched voltage outputs (7 to 16), using rules to drive the announcements you want to make.

Although Output 2 can be used to drive a speaker as a siren, it does not give you any voice capabilities.

theedudenator said:
Output 2 is my main siren.

Wonder if I can change the voltage to lower the siren sound when motion is detected.
No.

You'll smoke the board if you try to use the voltage triggers to drive a siren directly.

You'll have to figure out what you want and then how to accomplish it, either via a separate piezo, keypad beep, whatever.

Back