ELK Wireless Smoke in addition to System Sensor

Is it possible to install 2 wireless smoke detectors to work in conjunction with wired SS smokes?  I have the SS wired into my elk using the 2w-mod2 and Rss-mod.  At a minimum, I would like to wireless to go into alarm even if it cannot trigger the wired smokes.  Thanks! :pray:

This is a great question - one that I'm not aware of the answer to.  I still need to wire another smoke at my folks place on their upper level, but wireless one would be soooo much easier.  Hopefully somebody chimes in on this.

Thanks.  I have a similar issue.  I need to install a smoke detector in my garage and laundry room, but the upstairs is finished so I have no way to run the loop.  WIreless is my only option.

The wireless smokes would be able to trigger the wired smokes as long as you have a reversing relay connected to a switched 12V output controlled via rules.

Can you explain how to write the rule?  I have the smokes wired to the NO on OUT3  and rule to send alarm if triggered.  Also have a strobe connected to OUT3.

AUX Power Resettable would be SAUX

4 Wire IDC would be your fire zone. e.g. Zone 16 JP1 jumpered for Normal. Or use any other zone.

MAINT/FREEZE IDC would be any zone input, configured as the trouble zone.

AUX Power would be VAUX

Bell/Alarm Circuit would be a relay output (e.g. OUT3) that you turn on via a rule when the panel goes into the fire alarm state.
Connect the COM contact of OUT3 to +VAUX and the NO contact to T+ on the RSS-MOD.

WHENEVER ANY FIRE ALARM TURNS ON
  THEN TURN OUTPUT 003 ON

WHENEVER ANY FIRE ALARM CUTS OFF
  THEN TURN OUTPUT 003 OFF

Memory serves me there is an issue with the CUTS OFF rule syntax, known bug.

I'd recommend firing the rule based off the state of the zone (NORMAL turns off the reversing relay, but the FA becoming active would be the trigger to turn it on).

Also wouldn't recommend putting the RRS on with a strobe unless the strobe is going to follow the same overall operation as the fire alarm.

As long as the wired and wireless smoke detectors are all in ear shot of each other I see no need for them to all sound in an alarm. Having wired and wireless sensors working independently of each other should serve the purpose of alerting you and your monitoring system to a problem regardless of which sensor triggered it.

Mike.

Fire would be the one exception in my book. You want to get someone awake and out normally.....ask questions later.

Generally one of the more reliable systems/detectors installed on a system. I can count on one hand the times I've had a false alarm (literally once, my 2WMOD went bad while on vacation).

Both will contact the monitoring service if configured to do so. either one or both can also have rules to send emails and make phone calls.

Mike.

little66085 said:
If I am understanding, both the wired and wireless will work independently, but both will trigger the fire alarm, correct?
Depends on the definition of independent.....which is a moot point with a reversing relay. The only difference would be whether a single device/zone is triggered or a zone with multiple detectors attached. The only difference is notification, which is a tiny item if the system is monitored or notification is pushed via email.

Back