ElkRm software

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting a registered version of ElkRM software to connect to my ELK panel via an ethernet connection. ElkRP works fine and I have configured the RM software to use the same IP Address and Port. When I try connecting It seems to connect for a second then it looses connection. I get a message saying it will attempt to reconnect in 60 seconds but it never reconnects. This is happens on both a Vista laptop and an XP pro laptop so I must be missing something in the setup. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Do you have the non-secure port turned on? In ElkRP open your account then click on the M1XEP Setup button at the lower right. In there click on the 2nd tab from the left - TCP/IP Settings. On the right side of that tab you need to make sure that check next to Enable Non Secure Port is checked and that the port is set to 2101 (default). RP uses the non secure port to talk to the panel but RP uses the secure port 2601. If you changed RM to use 2601, you need to change it back to the non secure port.

Do you have the non-secure port turned on? In ElkRP open your account then click on the M1XEP Setup button at the lower right. In there click on the 2nd tab from the left - TCP/IP Settings. On the right side of that tab you need to make sure that check next to Enable Non Secure Port is checked and that the port is set to 2101 (default). RP uses the non secure port to talk to the panel but RP uses the secure port 2601. If you changed RM to use 2601, you need to change it back to the non secure port.

Steve,

Yes, the non secure port box is checked and the port is set to 2101. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

I'm afraid that was my best guess, unless you still have RP connected. Port 2101 will not connect as long as RP is running and connected to the panel.

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting a registered version of ElkRM software to connect to my ELK panel via an ethernet connection. ElkRP works fine and I have configured the RM software to use the same IP Address and Port. When I try connecting It seems to connect for a second then it looses connection. I get a message saying it will attempt to reconnect in 60 seconds but it never reconnects. This is happens on both a Vista laptop and an XP pro laptop so I must be missing something in the setup. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Try disabling the windows firewall temporarily. If this resolves the issue you will need to add the ports and programs into the firewall's settings.

Hi All,

Try disabling the windows firewall temporarily. If this resolves the issue you will need to add the ports and programs into the firewall's settings.

Thanks for the responses, ElkRp is not connected and I did try shutting down the firewall as well as the AV software but still no go. I can connect but as soon as I try arming or accessing my lighting it drops the connection.

Probably not the answer, but the only other thing I could suggest besides calling Elk is to upgrade the XEP to the latest firmware and make sure RM is the latest, then do 'Update' within RM. Then the only other thing to try would maybe be a 3rd party app with an Elk driver to see if it works. All of the apps have trials if you want to d/l and just try it. At least that will tell you if the XEP and network are ok.

Oh, and I don't see how it would cause disconnect, but make sure the stuff under Serial Port is checked on the Globals G29-42(Specials) tab.

Probably not the answer, but the only other thing I could suggest besides calling Elk is to upgrade the XEP to the latest firmware and make sure RM is the latest, then do 'Update' within RM. Then the only other thing to try would maybe be a 3rd party app with an Elk driver to see if it works. All of the apps have trials if you want to d/l and just try it. At least that will tell you if the XEP and network are ok.

Oh, and I don't see how it would cause disconnect, but make sure the stuff under Serial Port is checked on the Globals G29-42(Specials) tab.

Thanks Steve. I am running the firmware for the XEP. I have also tried updating through the ElkRM software. The update was successful but still the same results. I can log in via RM but anytime i try to do something the system drops it's connection.

Hopefully someone from elk will have some input.

Try the following steps:

1)
Disable any firewalls/anti-virus temporarily (sounds like you have done).

2)
Open ElkRP and connect to your panel.
On the "Account Details" screen, click on the "M1XEP Setup" Button.
Go to the TCP/IP Settings tab and do a "Receive".
Verify that the Non-Secure Port is enabled and that it is set to 2101.
Verify that the Secure Port is set to 2601.
I know that you have checked all of this, but connecting and Receiving will verify that the XEP has the correct settings...

Once you have verified that indeed the XEP settings are correct...
Disconnect ElkRP and try to connect ElkRP using port 2601...

If this works, change your ElkRP "Port" to 2101 and try connecting...

Try to remain connected with ElkRP for a perioud of time to see if you get "kicked off"...

If all of this works, go to step 3...

3)
In ElkRP, go to the "Globals" section and click on the tab "G29-G42 (Special)"...
Verify that all check boxes in the "Serial Port 0" squares are checked...
Also verify that "Serial Port 0 baud rate" is set to 115200 (should be already since ElkRP can connect)...
It may not be a bad idea to "Receive All" globals to verify that your panel has the correct settings...

4)
In ElkRM, go to the "COMM SETUP" page and verify that the IP address is correct and that the Port Number is set to 2101...
Click "CONNECT" and test to see if you get the same previous results...

When all else fails... Go to step 5...

5)
In ElkRM, go to the "PRODUCT KEYS" page...
In the text box labeled "Type your product key here:"...
Type in "help monitor" and then click "ADD KEY"...
This will bring up a line monitor window...
Watch the data that is in the monitor window, and give us a reply to what you are seeing when ElkRM disconnects...

I know I am "wordy", but I hope one of these steps will help us find out what is happening...

Good luck!
Chris

Try the following steps:

1)
Disable any firewalls/anti-virus temporarily (sounds like you have done).

2)
Open ElkRP and connect to your panel.
On the "Account Details" screen, click on the "M1XEP Setup" Button.
Go to the TCP/IP Settings tab and do a "Receive".
Verify that the Non-Secure Port is enabled and that it is set to 2101.
Verify that the Secure Port is set to 2601.
I know that you have checked all of this, but connecting and Receiving will verify that the XEP has the correct settings...

Once you have verified that indeed the XEP settings are correct...
Disconnect ElkRP and try to connect ElkRP using port 2601...

If this works, change your ElkRP "Port" to 2101 and try connecting...

Try to remain connected with ElkRP for a perioud of time to see if you get "kicked off"...

If all of this works, go to step 3...

3)
In ElkRP, go to the "Globals" section and click on the tab "G29-G42 (Special)"...
Verify that all check boxes in the "Serial Port 0" squares are checked...
Also verify that "Serial Port 0 baud rate" is set to 115200 (should be already since ElkRP can connect)...
It may not be a bad idea to "Receive All" globals to verify that your panel has the correct settings...

4)
In ElkRM, go to the "COMM SETUP" page and verify that the IP address is correct and that the Port Number is set to 2101...
Click "CONNECT" and test to see if you get the same previous results...

When all else fails... Go to step 5...

5)
Watch the data that is in the monitor window, and give us a reply to what you are seeing when ElkRM disconnects...

I know I am "wordy", but I hope one of these steps will help us find out what is happening...

Good luck!
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I'll give this a try and report back.

5)

Chris, very nice. Who knew about this? I just searched both the RM docs and Release Notes and don't find "monitor" anywhere.

This is the type of debugging tool that it would be great to see in other products in the family.

This is one of those "undocumented features". It's mainly a tool for tech support to help trouble shoot problems like the one we are experiencing here... Hope it will help us out in this situation!!!

Please note that if you have Russound equipment, it will show data from the Russound as well...

Chris

This is one of those "undocumented features". It's mainly a tool for tech support to help trouble shoot problems like the one we are experiencing here... Hope it will help us out in this situation!!!

Please note that if you have Russound equipment, it will show data from the Russound as well...

Chris

Chris,

I have done what you suggested but it still will not stay connected. I have attached a screen shot of the monitor....hopefully it is not too small to see. I tried copying and pasting the text but could not so a screen shot was my best option.

The rm console will connect and stay connected until I either try to arm the system or go to my lighting.

In case you cannot read the sceen shot the last several lines in the monitor are:

XMIT: 06rr0056
XMIT: 07ps30023
XMIT: 07ps20024
XMIT: 07ps10025
XMIT: 07ps00026
XMIT: 06lw0057

Chris

Chris,

I have done what you suggested but it still will not stay connected. I have attached a screen shot of the monitor....hopefully it is not too small to see. I tried copying and pasting the text but could not so a screen shot was my best option.

The rm console will connect and stay connected until I either try to arm the system or go to my lighting.

In case you cannot read the sceen shot the last several lines in the monitor are:

XMIT: 07ps20024
XMIT: 07ps10025
XMIT: 07ps00026
XMIT: 06lw0057

more info, if I connect and don't do anything.....just stay on the security page the RM will disconnect itself in roughly 45 seconds. When this happens nothing new registers in the monitor. The last lines in the monitor are:
1BSD01001AREA1 009A
16RR33590822611070100065
XMIT: 0Bsd010010065

Just a brief overview:

ElkRM has a "three strikes and your out" routine for requesting data... In your first reply, you saw the following data:

ElkRM tried to poll for status of the third lighting bank 3 times and then it requested the "real time clock" info to see if it indeed has been disconnected... If ElkRM does not get a reply back, it will assume that it has been disconnected and will start trying to reconnect...

In your second reply, the "SD" string asks for the area's name that you are in. You got a reply back saying the name of the current area is "AREA1". The area name is the last piece of info that it requests from the M1XEP/M1 when it is booting. If ElkRM is sitting idle, it watches for the "XK" message which is a keep alive message that comes from the M1XEP/M1. You never saw this string which explains why it was saying it was disconnected.

In short, it looks like ElkRM is functioning correctly... So now we have to figure out what is dropping out causing us to loose connection (M1XEP/router/ethernet card in the computer). Beeing that you use the computer everyday on you home network, I would say it is not your router or ethernet card...

I spoke with the M1XEP's engineer, and he has requested that you reboot the M1XEP(cycle power). Watch the status LED's on the Ethernet connector on the XEP to familiarize yourself with the LED's blink sequence when it is booting up... After the XEP has booted up, continue to watch to see if it looks like the XEP is rebooting for some reason...

If you have the hardware to do it, you may want to try to connect ElkRM directly to the M1 using a serial port. If you get to try this, please use the monitor window to track the data like you did previously...

Is this a new M1XEP that you have bought recently, or is this one that has been on your system for a while? If you have had it installed for a while, is this the first time you have used ElkRM with it? (trying to track what has changed that could have started your problems)

Please inform us to your findings!

Chris

Back