Elk's RS-485 Protocol

majortom

Does Elk document its RS-485 protocol anywhere? We need to build an RS-485 to fiber transceiver and we need to know what the sequence that switches the bus from transmit to receive.

Does Elk document its RS-485 protocol anywhere? We need to build an RS-485 to fiber transceiver and we need to know what the sequence that switches the bus from transmit to receive.

The M1's RS-485 protocol is an unpublished protocol for security reasons. The biggest issue to overcome is the turn around time from receive to transmit which must occur within 4ms.

I suggest you contact Elk Products to discuss your application because a fiber optic data bus would be good to have.

The M1's RS-485 protocol is an unpublished protocol for security reasons.

Do you know if it is encrypted? If not, we can use a protocol analyzer and reverse engineer it (certainly a hassle, but not outside the range of possibility).

The biggest issue to overcome is the turn around time from receive to transmit which must occur within 4ms.

That should not be too hard. This one from BB Electronics seems to be able to turn around in 0.02ms.

I suggest you contact Elk Products to discuss your application because a fiber optic data bus would be good to have.

Know anyone there we should contact? I called earlier in the week with these questions and was just told that it is not supported and that they could not provide any technical information for us to do it.

Spanky is the Chief Engineer @ ELK, he should be able to help you out ;) Send him a PM.

The M1's RS-485 protocol is an unpublished protocol for security reasons. The biggest issue to overcome is the turn around time from receive to transmit which must occur within 4ms.

And it shore would be at least *mighty* good if Elk supported its very own Magic Module series too ... ;-)

If memory serves, when I asked Elk about MM support around the time of the M1's debut, the answer was " Well, you could do it yourself ..." .

... Marc

Back