Email notifier board

I had the same issue at first too, and I've had it in the past. What ultimately worked for me was setting both the connections on the switch where my email board and OPII are plugged into on my switch at 10mb/half duplex. Then, unplug both serial and network from the email board simultaneously then plug them back in. After that it generally updates OK.

I've had 6 failed attempts as well.  Not screwing with this any more for now.  It's been a P.O.S. product from the beginning.

I finally got the notifier board firmware to load properly.  Cycled power on the notifier board and moved the serial port to #2 on the Omni IIe.  Appears to be functioning properly, test messaging now working, however I do agree with JonW, this product is a major P.O.S.

I feel bad about this as I promoted the HAI EMail board here on the forum as "the best thing since sliced bread" a while back. 

I never purchased it though cuz it would not fit inside of my HAI can unless I moved some stuff around which I didn't want to do.  Really too didn't have a free serial port for this device to plug in to anyways.

So this newest update stopped the Email Notifier from connecting on the network any longer. 

PC Access can see the Notifier but Notifier now won't send any packets at all. Tried power off OPII/Notifier for a long period of time, short period of time, disconnecting Notifier from switch, combination of each, turn off switch, another switch, another switch from those two... Not only did the recent update not fix the reliability issues, but it made the board less usable and frankly, even if it had made the board more reliable the update did not resolve anyone's request for support of modern email systems.

I recommend avoiding this update!

OEN-junker-firmware.jpgbread-slicer-of-long-ago.jpg

No one should feel bad unless they paid money for the Email Notifier. It's no one's fault the early model bread slicer has a dull blade and has been improved over the last couple of centuries.  :horse:  The Email Notifier did add time sync and with regard to it's real purpose of email, well that works well for some and not well for others.  Hit or miss is just a sign of engineering incompetency and low production quality.

Anyway, I'm going to try a downgrade and see if I can at least get the Notifier to send a couple of messages before dying again and it would be great to get the time back on track with the real time....

Looks to me like pete_c just leaked a design Leviton could use for the next gen Email Notifier.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/30019-new-omni-40b-firmware-anyone-feel-lucky/page-2

pete_c said:
Personally I think that we are past the limits of the OmniPro 2 panel can do.  Here went to using Homeseer touch with connectivity to the panel and my cctv cameras running wintel and Omnitouch 5.7e/5.7 consoles.  The old Omnitouch Pro software does work modified with the HAI touchscreen designer application.

RS686 has written an OmniPro 2 application which runs on the RPi2 just fine today.  It'll do email notifications and syncs time up just fine on the OmniPro 2 panel.  Ideally using an RPi2 with two NICs inside of the OmniPro 2 panel would work but the RPi2-3 is still too big to fit inside of the panel.  I have mine inside of an adjacent Leviton 42" can connected to switch which connects to the OmniPro 2 panel.

I did a tiny microrouter configuration.  It has two NICs and serial connectivity to the panel.  That said it'll do email, runs a web server and has an RTC in it with a battery.  It is not seen by the OP2 panel firmware but rather it is just an addition device which is 2" X 2" X 1" and powered by the panel. It uses one network connection to the panel and you connect to the panel IP via the second NIC on the device (no need for the serial port connection).   It is limited a bit by its memory and CPU speed of 400Mhz.  For the basics it would be fine.  For Luci stuff though you have to compile the code outside of the device as there is no play room in the device. 

Here went to using a smaller microrouter with similiar specs and did fine a smaller RTC which I am using in another device.  It is only 1" X 2" X 1".  Just barely the size of the two NIC ports.

attachicon.gif
microrouter.jpg

After power cycling the notifier board, I was able to get it to update.  Time will tell if it works any better than it did before.

@StarTrekDoors Not relating to OP I had a mfg company redesign a similiar chip set based microrouter such that it was about 2" long, 1" wide with a NIC port on both sides of the device and it had built in battery backed up RTC and used 12VDC from the OP2 panel (converting it to 5VDC for the board on the board).

I have a drawing here.  The board design had 128-256Mb of RAM and 64Mb of flash for a larger OS.

Hi All,

I upgraded my PC Access, OMNI IIe and Email Notifier Board to the latest versions and in that order. Everything is operational except for my Email Notifier Board. After the upgrade, I was no longer able to access it from PC Access. When I try to retrieve Version / MAC Address info, I get the pop-up window saying "Reading Email Board MAC Address ..." then Fails.

Is my Email Notifier Board bricked? Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
  Randy

I've seen that issue occur before and required disconnecting power from the OP system for a few minutes.  You may also need to reload the latest firmware also.

Unfortunately, the "pop-up" doesn't work very well anyway and may be the board is there. When you click get ver/mac, it may pop a message completed, but will have no info and will only show a message with button to Close and what appears to be the start of a process completing (sliver of blue progress bar that never goes to 100%).  When you press Close, the ver/mac info should appear in PC Access. You can also try pinging the IP of the board but keep in mind the MAC address of the board will occasionally change so the DHCP address to be assigned will change too. Truly sad. Also no ability to set a static IP so if its not at the expected IP, look to see if the IP changed due to a MAC change.

Also, depending on the firmware version you loaded, you may get a failed message, but the board will be configurable.  Of course, this assumes the board was going to work anyway.  Given the poor reliability of the Email Notifier, it might not work no matter how hard you try and firmware.  I have one that had issues getting ver/mac response.  An upgrade fix that and now the Email Notifier board may work several times a day at random hours and quite a few times each month.

Leviton is still trying to work out the bugs in this board but they seem to be against a wall since the hardware isn't appropriate for modern day use.

StarTrekDoors said:
Leviton is still trying to work out the bugs in this board but they seem to be against a wall since the hardware isn't appropriate for modern day use.
"Modern day use." Wasn't this board just released 3 years ago? Maybe the documentation they used to design it wasn't "modern day."  :rofl:

I installed this board a couple months ago (and updated the firmware as soon as I got it) and use the My Leviton Cloud to send emails.  I haven't had any major issues until recently.  I have noticed that periodically the ARM and DISARM messages do not come through.

These are the only issues I have noticed, because they are actions that I initiate and expect to get the notification.

If the ARM does not come through, I disarm the system and re-arm it.  Both the DISARM and ARM (second time) come through.  So, it periodically "misses" one.  Not sure if this is a board issue, or maybe a My Leviton Cloud issue where the emails just don't get pushed out.  I have every notification send as an email and a text message.  Neither of them arrive when there is a "miss".

Anyone else having this issue, or any thoughts?  Seems like it works fine 98-99% of the time.  Just makes me wonder what else I might not have gotten, or might not get in the future...

mcgrinch said:
I installed this board a couple months ago (and updated the firmware as soon as I got it) and use the My Leviton Cloud to send emails.  I haven't had any major issues until recently.  I have noticed that periodically the ARM and DISARM messages do not come through.

These are the only issues I have noticed, because they are actions that I initiate and expect to get the notification.

If the ARM does not come through, I disarm the system and re-arm it.  Both the DISARM and ARM (second time) come through.  So, it periodically "misses" one.  Not sure if this is a board issue, or maybe a My Leviton Cloud issue where the emails just don't get pushed out.  I have every notification send as an email and a text message.  Neither of them arrive when there is a "miss".

Anyone else having this issue, or any thoughts?  Seems like it works fine 98-99% of the time.  Just makes me wonder what else I might not have gotten, or might not get in the future...
I haven't had any problems with it.  I use it with my domain's email. 

When sending ARM and DISARM messages, note that the OPII ALWAYS does alarm functions first, and when you are or disarm, it may be calling an alarm company.  When it calls the alarm company, or when an alarm is going off, it will often be very slow at other tasks.  You might want to add some delay so the arm/disarm email occurs AFTER it is done calling the alarm company. You may have better luck.

An other way to make notification for android user is use an app named NQLink. this app can running on background with both connection local IP and Domain Name (Outside IP). Lost connection or restart your phone? no problem, app restart with your phone and smart function automatically to looking for available connection. video is example programming how to make notification. you just make trigger -> show message and clear message for next notification. Notification feedback directly to app without any email services, so no any delay.

They have free trial version that you can try:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vn.megatron.www.Omni_controller_Trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsY-ZkecPM&t=4s

Back