Email notifier board

Yes, I have one of my Email Notifier boards working successfully with SMTP2GO as well.  Hope to update the second one this weekend.

jcdavis said:
Have three of these Omni SometimesNotifiers in the field, plus one at my own home and all are configured identically and running FW v1.5... one works sporadically, one works reliably, and two don't work at all.  :angry2:

Other than HomeSeer, does anyone know of any non-Leviton solutions for enabling e-mail notifications?
I have been using a Raspberry PI (RPI) Single Onboard Computer with a modified version of JomniLink  https://github.com/digitaldan/jomnilink Java library to send email via Gmail using the TLS 1.2 security protocol.  I can't use Leviton's "goofy" SMTP2Go solution since security is a very high priority for me  I have been using this RPI solution for almost two years since I couldn't depend on the board to reliably send emails..  It has proven to be flawless.  I only use the email notifier to accurately maintain the controller time.

Here having problems with T-Mobile / GMail.  3rd time now in the last 4 months. Seems that the T-Mobile Barracuda firewall is blocking my text messages which are sourced by GMail from the OP2 automation software.

7/8/2016 6:10:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:11:13 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:11:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:11:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:12:13 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:12:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:13:13 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:13:13 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:13:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:14:13 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.
7/8/2016 6:14:43 PM     Error     Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.

1 - first call 4 months ago relating to this issue T-Mobile sent me a link to my T-Mobile account on the Barracuda firewall and I just disabled the blocking of my emails from GMail to the T-Mobile Email server to Text stuff.  It worked.

2 - second call about 1.5 months ago, T-Mobile told me to contact Barracuda directly.  I did and they asked me why T-Mobile would not fix the issue themselves.  The issue was resolved some 3 hours after the call.

3 - This morning called T-Mobile again.  All of my GMail alarm texts are bouncing from the T-Mobile email / Text server.  I asked about previous tickets and CS said this was the first time that I had called for any issues.  I requested a service ticket be opened and got the number.  I mentioned information relating to the previous two calls.  I asked that the service ticket be opened with one sentence.  "DO not block my GMail address from the T-Mobile email server".  The CS person asked me the same question and I provided the same answer for about 45 minutes (maybe 15-25 times). Then CS stated that the call would be escalated to technical support.  At that time CS stated something about federal FCC regulations.  I laughed.  That said CS said it was Friday today and technical support wasn't going to be looking at the ticket until Monday.  What a joke.  The T-Mobile CIO (current CIO is Cody Sanford - AKA Joker) would be better becoming a paid circus entertainer. 

Relating to #3 CS was pleasant and polite.  That though didn't fix my issue.

Just wanted to add my experience so far. 

Contacted Leviton directly about the issue - wasn't aware of the GMAIL changes when it went down, so naturally Leviton told me to use SMTP2GO. It seemed to work except for the email to SMS since I have T-Mobile as well. 99% of my alerts are delivered via SMS and then it'll blast my email accounts and whatever else if something big happens. Emails worked, SMS didn't, figured I'd mess with and do some trial and error to find something that worked. I am using Leviton's proposed config of utilizing "[email protected]" as the from address on the board. I log in with email creds that I set the account up with, use SSL, etc.

This morning I received an email from SMTP2GO from their tech team complaining that I was using a domain that didn't belong to me (leviton.com). I'm guessing this was due to the excessive NDR's that came back when sending email to SMS. In the past I've had barracuda block gmail for whatever reason, no specific reason other than a policy violation. I was told I needed to use an address that I own and have access to. Obviously I don't own or have access to the Leviton email so I asked about the gmail.com usage, basically same response due to GMAIL's new DMARC policy. 

Went back to Leviton - told them what I was told. Followed their config and got griped for it. Leviton's response has been that this is a thoroughly tested solution....

Either way, it doesn't work. Not sure if anyone else has had the same experience, but what I can tell so far is that their proposed solution isn't going to work. I really don't want to have to purchase a domain for simple one way emails to flow. I understand the security protocols being deprecated so hopefully Leviton will fix this in their firmware.

sniem1525 said:
 I am using Leviton's proposed config of utilizing "[email protected]" as the from address on the board. 

Seems odd that they would tell people to use the Leviton address.  They probably should have said "as an example...".  

I personally use the address [email protected] .  I also use Home.Cams@  and other similar addresses.  Makes it easy to know which notification source is coming through.

I thought so too.

Prior to it used my gmail account no problem.

Bigger issue is the service seems to not like using any domain that you do not control. So if I used Leviton, Gmail, Yahoo!, etc, it'd have the same result. 

I forgot to add that tech bulletin is what suggested to set it this way:

This is a courtesy Technical Bulletin regarding the Leviton Omni Notifier, part number 20A30-1.

Recently, some mail service providers such as Gmail and Yahoo have ceased support for SSLv3, utilized by the Omni Notifier for sending email messages. This can cause notifications to cease being delivered as intended.

Leviton recommends using a third party SMTP service that allows non-SSL/TLS communications to replace the customer's current email properties in PC Access. Due to the nature of these communications, caution should be exercised when sending security related notifications.

Leviton has identified the following service as an alternative which includes a free option for notification purposes: smtp2go.com.

Please follow these smtp2go.com instructions:
Visit http://info.leviton.com/e/48512/2016-07-01/3ywfpf/178945294 and follow the instructions to create a free account.
Using account credentials from the step above, login to smtp2go.com and follow the instructions to set up an SMTP username and SMTP password.
The Omni Notifier will use this to connect to the SMTP service in PC Access.
Using PC Access software, update the Email Settings for the Omni Notifier:
Set the "Send from" email address to [email protected]
Enter SMTP username and SMTP password for the SMTP service connection.
Enter SMTP settings below:
SMTP server: mail.smtp2go.com
Port: 2525 
Encryption: No 
Write configuration to the Omni + Notifier board and test.
Leviton is currently developing additional notification solutions.  If you need assistance or have questions, please contact [email protected] or call 1-800-229-7256 x 1.

cobra said:
Do you really use my domain.com?  Or was that an example also?  It made me laugh, as they are a domain registrar I've used.

That was an example.  I use my own domain.

Because SMTP2Go is unsecured, using one's private personal or work domain will likely open up the SMTP2Go user to additional spam messages at some point in time.

It would be prudent for anyone not having a serious spam filter or anti-spam service to use a temporary email account when signing up for SMTP2Go until Leviton updates the Email Notifier to work properly.  Hopefully this issue woke someone up on the development team because SSLv3 was on it's way out a few years ago, Leviton should never have limited the Email Notifier to that deprecated SSL version in the first place - a real kick in the butt for such a new product!

I found it strangely odd that you had to already have email to use SMTP2Go's email; now if that solution would have resolved the reliability issues and need to reboot the board.

So I got tired of the back and forth with SMTP2GO and Leviton and I dumped the setup.

The new setup I have now is the board talking to an Ubuntu server locally, then the server relays to GMail over secure protocol. So far it has been working without any issues and I'm back in full swing. 

I'm working on replacing this with a Rasberry Pi load and making more use of the Pi and expand on its capabilities, so hopefully it'll work out. For the email the Pi works great in testing, just need to tweak it some and then I'll cut it over to be used regularly. 

sniem1525 said:
Just wanted to add my experience so far. 

Contacted Leviton directly about the issue - wasn't aware of the GMAIL changes when it went down, so naturally Leviton told me to use SMTP2GO. It seemed to work except for the email to SMS since I have T-Mobile as well. 99% of my alerts are delivered via SMS and then it'll blast my email accounts and whatever else if something big happens. Emails worked, SMS didn't, figured I'd mess with and do some trial and error to find something that worked. I am using Leviton's proposed config of utilizing "[email protected]" as the from address on the board. I log in with email creds that I set the account up with, use SSL, etc.

This morning I received an email from SMTP2GO from their tech team complaining that I was using a domain that didn't belong to me (leviton.com). I'm guessing this was due to the excessive NDR's that came back when sending email to SMS. In the past I've had barracuda block gmail for whatever reason, no specific reason other than a policy violation. I was told I needed to use an address that I own and have access to. Obviously I don't own or have access to the Leviton email so I asked about the gmail.com usage, basically same response due to GMAIL's new DMARC policy. 

Went back to Leviton - told them what I was told. Followed their config and got griped for it. Leviton's response has been that this is a thoroughly tested solution....

Either way, it doesn't work. Not sure if anyone else has had the same experience, but what I can tell so far is that their proposed solution isn't going to work. I really don't want to have to purchase a domain for simple one way emails to flow. I understand the security protocols being deprecated so hopefully Leviton will fix this in their firmware.
I agree.  I set up everything like Leviton instructed and I wasn't receiving the SMS messages on my verizon cell phones.  I just changed the sender email from [email protected] to a yahoo address and it starting working. This was sooo frustrating.  I hope this helps.

And to add my experience -

I’ve also switched over to SMTP2GO…initially I was having trouble with emails being caught in spam filters and no SMS messages on Verizon phones.  I changed the “E-Mail From Address” to something in the smtp2go.com domain (e.g. [email protected]) and now I’m not have any trouble with email or SMS messages.

I bought the notifier board last year and had problems with it after a few months.  So I just disable it.

Well this morning I updated the Notifier software to ver 1.5.  Since I have my own domain, I used an email address on this domain.  Sent a test message, and it works. 

I also took a previous suggestion and used "<cell number>@mms.att.net".  So I was able to rcv message on both my phone and my destination email.

I did not even look at the SMTP2Go's email since I have my own domain.  So I would suggest your own domain if you have one.

Back