Enable output on failure to kisoff with Telephone 1 ?

sandman

HI All

I'm looking to setup a "Poor Mans GSM failover", basically I will have a GSM terminal connected to the ELK and should it fail to get a kisoff from Dialler 1 (dialing via GSM terminal) , I would like the ELK to turn on an output when it then moves to Dialler 2 ( and dial via PSTN).....

My reasoning is, it will dial out via GSM, if it cant kisoff, I want it to use Dialler 2, when this happens, I want the output to pull in a double pole relay and switch me to the PSTN line.

I've looked through the event list and cant see anything that would help.....

Any pointers ?

Thanks Pete

Obviously I must suggest you use a real backup system... NextAlarm supports AlarmNet and probably other wireless providers, otherwise contact your central station and ask them.

I have no reason to think alarm tones will pass through these devices as they are outside of the human voice. Same problems you have with VOIP, it's designed to do voice and voice only.

______

In the other thread, that product I linked to claims you can switch lines between land and cellular by tone.

I don't know how Elk's numbers are setup but you should be able to do something like.

primary

secondary

Then configure the device to use 99 as a trip to use GSM outbound.

Obviously I must suggest you use a real backup system... NextAlarm supports AlarmNet and probably other wireless providers, otherwise contact your central station and ask them.

I have no reason to think alarm tones will pass through these devices as they are outside of the human voice. Same problems you have with VOIP, it's designed to do voice and voice only.

______

In the other thread, that product I linked to claims you can switch lines between land and cellular by tone.

I don't know how Elk's numbers are setup but you should be able to do something like.

primary

secondary

Then configure the device to use 99 as a trip to use GSM outbound.

HI Collin

Not being based in the US, I dont know what NextAlarm offer or who they are. There has been some success with different VOIP codecs, I've trialed the alarm_receiver module for asterisk and it works fine using ulaw/alaw.

Rather than buying an "off the shelf" product that is over $800AUS that offers failover, I'm looking for something I can make myself using a GSM terminal and a bit of clever programming.

I'm not sure what you mean by using "99" to trip the GSM outbound. Are you suggesting I parallel the PSTN and the GSM modem and detect the different numbers being dialled ?

I'm looking for a trigger on the ELK that if it fails to make contact with Number "1", I can trigger an output so when it calls number 2, I've switched the lines between GSM and PSTN....be interested to hear from Spanky to see what he thinks...

Cheers..Pete

Back