EOL Resistor Type - Elk M1

jrb007

Hi everyone. First off I'd just like to thank everyone who takes the time to post on this board. I've spent the last couple of months lurking and taking in the wealth of information here.

I'm in the process of building a new home. I'll be running my prewire this weekend. I've purchased all of the wire I believe I'll need. The plan is to purchase the M1 Gold or M1EZ8 in the next couple of weeks.

Even though I don't have the sensors I'll be installing I believe I'll install the EOL resistors during the prewire. It would seem to be easier to get them in place without having to fish them through the 3/8" opening in the window jamb. I was planning on picking up the resistors at RadioShack. When I went online to make sure they had them in stock I found that there were 2 different types of 2.2K ohm resistors available: 1/2 watt and 1/4 watt.

My question is which one should I use? The 1/2 or the 1/4? Does it make a difference? I don't have much experience in this area. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

I don't recall if RadioShack stocks them, but 1/8 watt would work fine also. and they are smaller and maybe cheaper.

Jim:

The ELK panel will come with a set of resistors when you purchase the panel. The input expansion module comes with a set also. I always have some on hand for pre-wires also. I agree that 1/4 watt will be fine just make sure that they are quality resistors. They should have a gold band after the three red ones. That will get you +/- 5% tolerance.

Robert

1/8,1/4,or 1/2 watt will all work with a 2.2K ohm resistor.

Option to remember:
If you do not want to use End of Line Resistors, program the zone definition as a Normally Closed Hardware Loop.

The EOL Resistors will let you know if the zone wiring has been shorted between the EOL resistor and the M1 Control.

jrb007 said:
I assume closed loop sensors still work with EOL resistors, right?
Yes, the sensors are the same either way. If you add the resistor, then configure for EOL. If you don't add the resistor, then configure for normally closed.

The ELK panel will come with a set of resistors when you purchase the panel.
Get 1-2 extra packs from Radio Shlock. You'll spend more on the gasoline getting there than you will on the resisters. If you get through the entire installation without losing, breaking, or somehow messing up a resister, you'll be doing good. With all the crud that's on the floor during construction, you can drop your wallet on the floor and only have a 50% chance of finding it again, so the resisters are a goner if dropped. :D

Back