Examples of Elk + Ocelot?

Change

Can anyone provide examples of how they're using their Elk panels with an Ocelot controller? I've found mention of this kind of setup in the forums, but not really how they're being used. How does the Ocelot receive info from the Elk and provide commands to it? What sort of super-nifty-spiffy things can you make this combination do? We've got an Elk panel that I'm setting up right now, and I'm just wondering if an Ocelot would be a handy addition to the system for us. Thanks!

I have not implemented it, but the theory is that they mainly communicate via via predefined strings on the serial port of each device. You caould also use their I/O to trigger events but that is a lot more limited.

The Ocelot is mainly used to add IR I/O to the system (including the famous IR blaster), but it also provides better options on analog input. You can remove the pull-resistor and feed any voltage (0-5) in the input ports.

Guy can give you lots more details.

I have been using the Ocelot with the M1 for quite some time now, and haven't had any issues. I get extra inputs thanks to the SECU16, and I offload complex tasks to the Ocelot as well (but the result of such a task can be shared with the M1, or you can use the M1 to trigger the task).

I also use IR, allowing my M1 to turn on PiP on my TV showing the security camera, turning off the TV in the living room, turning the tv on in the bedroom when we start the goodnight sequence, and lots more. If you have room in your budget for one, I definitely recommend it.

electron said:
I have been using the Ocelot with the M1 for quite some time now, and haven't had any issues. I get extra inputs thanks to the SECU16, and I offload complex tasks to the Ocelot as well (but the result of such a task can be shared with the M1, or you can use the M1 to trigger the task).

I also use IR, allowing my M1 to turn on PiP on my TV showing the security camera, turning off the TV in the living room, turning the tv on in the bedroom when we start the goodnight sequence, and lots more. If you have room in your budget for one, I definitely recommend it.
If you had Homeseer would it be better to connect the M1 and the Ocelot each to Homeseer or the Ocelot to the M1 and the M1 to Homeseer?

Back when I was running Homeseer, I had my Ocelot hooked up to my Elk M1. My goal was being able to drive almost all equipment, even if Homeseer stopped working. I had a heartbeat setup which would detect when the PC went down, and take over some of the functions until the software came back online. It's the same reason my W800RF32 is hooked up to the M1 as well.

electron said:
I have been using the Ocelot with the M1 for quite some time now, and haven't had any issues.
Hi Electron,

Any quick tips on message format between the M1 and Ocelot. Like which ones want a CR/LF terminator etc? I'm hoping to find the time to connect my M1 to my Homevision controller soon and would appreciate any suggestions.

John

upstatemike: I still need to rebuild my HA machine (last lightning strike took it out, so am relying on hardware right now), but I am not planning on installing Homeseer again. I am evaluating several solutions right now, and since my hardware setup can do most of the stuff I need right now, I am not in a hurry, eventho it would be nice to have it back.

carry15+1: Message formatting is really up to you. If your Homevision controller doesn't require crlf termination, I wouldn't use it, just to save on memory space. If it does require it, it's easy to insert.

M1 wants at least a Carriage Return or Line Feed as an ASCII string terminator when sending a string to the M1. Strings going out of the M1 does not HAVE to include a terminator.

Yes, the M1 looks for the carriage return as an input termination character. In the Ocelot's ascii strings, just add a "^013" at the end.

Going the other way, the M1 can send information to the Ocelot using the "simple ascii" protocol. With this you can set variables to specific values as triggers or for sending data values. These commands take the form "+V010002" to set variable #1 to a value of 2, etc. You can also trigger the sending of IR commands directly with these commands. No carriage return is needed at the end of these commands.

I have been testing the Ocelot with the M1 and the two work well together. The serial link is nice because it is truely bi-directional. I use the Ocelot for the main home automation logic because the if/then logic of the Ocelot is much more developed and complete, especially for handling data and doing any math on it. The two units really complement each other very well. The M1 is best used as a standalone alarm system first and foremost but with which you can use its i/o sensors and input devices with about as much versatility as you can dream of, both within its conditional logic or to supply another HA system (like the Ocelot) with information.

Back